Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shenzhen Visa

sherwes is offline Registered User

Shenzhen Visa

Hi, my parents are visiting for a couple of weeks and I want to take my mother to Shenzhen shopping for the day. She is an Australian passport holders (as am I except I also have a HK visa and HK ID).

I just checked on the China Foreign Ministry website and it looks like getting a visa will be quite a process and take 4 working days. The site also says that persons who do not reside "permanently" need to apply for the visa in their home country. Bit of a problem given that mum is already en route to HK tonight. I am not looking forward to lining up for ages only to be told that mum can't get a visa!

Has anyone obtained a visa recently? I had thought that you could just pick one up at the border (except during the olympics when the requirements were a lot stricter).

Any thoughts appreciated.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    Not that recent but in April we were able to walk with with an Aussie passport and get one. It was actually cheaper than going through the process in HK beforehand. Sorry I can't help you more recent than that.

MLBW Guest
    In most countries, you can hire a service to do the visa application process.

For example, my son is a US citizen and a US passport holder even though we live in HK and my husband is a HK local. My son is very young--less than 1-year-old but we were also told that the only way to get a visa for him to travel to China (just to Shenzhen-where my husband works) was to apply first in the USA (his country of citizenship)--this is for the first visa application--subsequent applications can be made in HK.

So, come to think of it, you may just want your mom to call the nearest Chinese consulate and ask them if they can recommend a Visa Processing service. The Chinese consulates abroad require that the person apply for their visa in person or send a representative in their stead--they do not process mail-in orders (they used to but not now).

So, what you do, is hire the service--pay them about $50 USD (that is the standard) and they do all the work for you. Usually you download their forms online, fill them out, add up your total and send in your passport and cheque via some sort of certified mail.

If you were in the States, I would recommend China Visa Service Centre out of Texas which is the service I have done business numerous times with--both personally and for study-abroad trips I coordinated. One time we needed expediated service and they were able to get everything to us in less than 3 days--including shipping time!

I looked online and found this, though:

http://www.chinese-embassy.info/nort...a/visa-aus.htm

From the looks of it, it appears Australians have an easier time of applying for a Chinese visa and that the consulates accept mail-in applications in Australia--which is different from the States.

Otherwise....

I recommend contacting Vernny at Modern Wing Travel--they are in Wan Chai.

Modern Wing Travel

Tel:2403 1632

Morrison Plaza, Wan Chai

They can usually get you a visa expediated. I think you could possibly also go through China Travel Services (many locations in HK) and they can do the work for you--you pay a little fee but at least you don't have to sit in an office for 4 or 5 hours--and since it is only a day-trip to Shenzhen I don't think it's a big deal.

If I were your mom, though, I would just get it taken care of before I even left Australia--it shouldn't be such a big headache considering she can apply by mail.

Hope they have a great trip!

Neha is offline Banned
    if u are going only to shenzhen just to go Lowu and they will issue u 5 day visa for shenzhen only will cost u about 160.00 hkd i think,

they had stopped issuing visas before the olympics but now all is normal

rani is offline Administrator
    Australian Passport holders can get a visa at the border.

More info here:

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread26456.html

Thanks all. I think we will just take the train to Lowu and try to get the visa at the border. Will let you know how we go!

spockey is offline Registered User
    Our Aussie guest just got the Shenzhen visa at the border. BUT, you've got to pay in RMB now NOT in HKD.

Thanks for that info. There is no way we would have had RMB on us at the border!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast