Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gestational Diabetes Test

Dink is offline Registered User

Question Gestational Diabetes Test

I would welcome any advice on this. Going through the public hospital antenatal system all pregnant women are screened for gestational diabetes regardless of risk factors/symptoms. I have an appointment for a test next week. My question is, is this really necessary/helpful? Those mums seeing private doctors just have this test if there are some indicators they may have this condition is that right? Is this a standard test in other parts of the world? The test sounds horrible and I'd rather avoid it if possible but if its best for the health of the baby then obviously I will do it... Any thoughts/experiences? (By the way, I am also seeing a private doctor but he is on holiday this week so I can't ask him about this).

Thanks in advance.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

I had my 3 children in the States and both times I had the test, around 28 weeks. We only moved at 30 weeks (so first test was actually in Europe) but my first measured ahead and they wanted to make sure I didn't have GD which I didn't. Twins are also higher risk for GD but again I passed the 1 hour test (they'll do a 3 hour one if you fail the 1 hour one, at least in the States). My twins also measured 2 weeks ahead and were also born above average (close to 8lbs a piece at 38 weeks). I don't think the test was a big deal, just drink some sweet 7-Up type stuff, wait for an hour and blood test before and after, that's it. Having GD can have complications for your child so it's always good to read up on that too before possibly declining the test.

HTH.

Tigerlily is offline Registered User

Hey Catherine
    we can discuss it further when i see you next but basically this is a normal test in Europe but it seems you can have it here only if you go public or if you have any problem.

My doctor here says I do not need it since I am relatively young, with no history of diabetes in the family and the baby growth is normal. However checking with my doctor in Italy he says I should have it anyway as precauscion (sorry not sure about the spelling) so he will do one next when I will be there.

There are a couple of ppl I know that did last week (both admitted is not pleasant but berable), if you want i can get you in touch with them for further question.

Anyway, I am really bored so let me know if I can help any further.

Tibi x

Dink is offline Registered User

Sounds like I need to toughen up and just do it. Its a 9 o'clock start and 2 hour test, and they never see you on time... that's what puts me off really, its a bit pathetic but I've normally eaten at least 2 meals in that time! Plus over the last few weeks I've grown to hate visiting the Tsan Yuk as I always walk out feeling worse than when I went in. But, I will go and do the test. Thanks for your advice ladies.

jzb
    jzb is offline Registered User

I had the test as matter of course with my private obst in Australia with both of my pregnancies. It's no biggie. You'll be fine, and you'll know that your baby will be too. It's worth it I reckon.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

They should see right on time to draw blood, especially after the test otherwise it's worthless. In my old US office they put a kitchen timer on to make sure they don't miss you! So definitely go ask the nurse if you're not seen after 2 hours!

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User

I went through this at tsan yuk earlier this year.....

you turn up at 9, they take your 1st blood by about 9.15, you then have a 3hour wait(!!!!!) and then they take more blood.... I got out about 12.30, by which point I felt awful. If I was doing this again I think I would check/ talk through this with my private doc, and if not high risk I dont think I would bother..... it really was the low point of my pregnancy.... but thats just my experience...... I was never very good at missing meals even before pregnancy.

Good luck

tstmum is offline Registered User

I honestly didn't think the test was a big deal. I had GD tests (privately) with both pregnancies. Sure, I felt a bit yuck without having breakfast, the sugar water you need to drink is VERY sweet, and blood tests are never terribly pleasant, but all in all it was only a few hours. I took a book to read and something to eat the minute the final blood test was taken. Even if you do not have any risk factors for GD, there is still a chance you may develop it and I personally would rather have known and been able to treat it. (I did not have it, btw)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast