Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choosing to not breastfeed....

TeamNZ is offline Registered User

Choosing to not breastfeed....

....for numerous different personal reasons.

With my first in NZ I was given a tablet "Dostenix" straight after birth to lower the chances of my milk coming in, this had no side effects and a great result.

I am in the public system here in HK (POW), and spoke with my doctor last visit who said that they don't do that here.

Does anyone know of anyone who will prescribe this or have an alternative solution to stopping milk coming in.

Any positive advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    A friend had a baby here and was prescribed something. Will find out the name and let you know.

apples is offline Registered User
    I've just PM'd you

TeamNZ is offline Registered User
    Thanks very much apples!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I never bf my singleton, nor my twins, never tried, never wanted, never did and never felt guilty about it either. I had them all in the States, and nothing was given. I just wore a tight sports bra day and night, after a few days you feel Pamela Anderson and a few days later it's gone. Within a week it was pretty much back to normal, so personally I never felt the need for drugs.

MLBW Guest
    I know that you said you don't want your milk to come in but there is another route you can take if you can't get the shot to prevent it from coming in (it can be super uncomfortable when you get engorged--I had that experience). My lactation consultant told me to take a cold decongestant. I am trying to remember exactly the type I was told to take. Maybe someone else can remember--it helps to dry up your milk supply within two weeks.

Also, birth control with estrogen can decrease milk supply.

I also read this:

If breast-feeding isn't possible or practical, the safest way to suppress lactation is to let milk production dry up naturally. In the meantime, avoid stimulating the breasts or expressing milk. Over-the-counter pain relievers, ice packs and a supportive bra can help relieve breast engorgement and pain ? which may peak three to five days after delivery.

Medications for lactation suppression pose serious safety concerns. For example, high doses of estrogen given by injection can stop milk production ? but the estrogen poses a risk of life-threatening blood clots in the mother. And bromocriptine, a drug once used for lactation suppression, is no longer recommended for this purpose because it can cause dangerously low blood pressure and stroke.

from The Mayo Clinic

spockey is offline Registered User
    Did not have to take any pill or wear a tight sports bra.
    If POW doesn't prescribe it, you may want to see a private doctor and explain the situation and I'm sure they'd prescribe it to you. That way, you'd have them in your hands after delivery.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I am wondering why you would take medication if it's basically not needed? Again, both times I did nothing (except keeping my fairly tight GAP bra on day and night and within a week there was nothing to worry about).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast