Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Frequent waking up at night??

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    Are you jumping out of bed as soon as baby wakes during the night? I am not sure if you are doing this, but maybe let your baby sook for 5 or 10 minutes, and then if she doesn't resettle, spend maybe 10 minutes trying to resettle (I found just rubbing the top of my babies head sent her back to sleep within around 5 minutes). If she still is unsettled, I would then feed baby. I also agree that although it can be extremely tiring, baby is still quite young at 2.5 months. Have you also tried a dream feed/rollover feed at around say 11? I found this extremely effective and as a result got a decent nights sleep as baby was fed later and lasted longer. In regards to milk drying up, have you also considered expressing during the day (you may already be doing this but just thought I would also recommend this if not). I had an electronic breast pump and once I got the hang of it, could get around 250mls in 10 minutes. Finally, I have a friend who is also doing the massage course at Annerley and is finding it extremely good.
    http://www.annerley.com.hk/babymassage.htm
    I also did massage every night after a bath and both my baby and I really loved it (and Dad even enjoyed it too!). In the end, remember bubs is still young and it sounds like you are doing well surviving both working full time and taking care of bubs. Hang in there and Good luck. They improve every week!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    As for the tiredness, I completely understand. It is the hardest thing to deal with and something people can't understand unless they've had a baby wake every few hours for months on end. With two children close together I feel like I haven't had a decent sleep in three years!
    The only advice that I can give is take things one day at a time, nap whenever you can and definitely get other people involved with night feeds. My hubbie has always been great, in fact i was going completely insane from tiredness (a colicky baby who cried all night long) and he really stepped up and did a lot of feeds at night. I would express and store them ready for him to use. Even today with a toddler and an almost 3 year old we alternate waking up when one of our boys needs us. He's a champ!

miaka is offline Registered User
    my boy (now 9 mos) still wakes at night a few times and my toddler (2 yrs) also wakes up (though she can sleep through tht night occassionally. since i had mine so close, i really haven't slept thru the night in over 2 yrs and i'm not so sure i remember how. but the woman's body is amazing and will adjust.

my daughter was a quicker eater at night so she was easy, but my son takes his time. i got so tired that i just started nursing him while lying down at night. i found that i could get more rest that way and even fell asleep in that position (exposed and all after he was done).

if i remember correctly, i think the milk producing hormones are at their strongest at night so nursing often at night might be helping you keep up your supply. also, the composiition of milk changes with the baby's needs so even though your pumping less in quantity, it may be that the milk is more concentrated in nutrition.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by yuukalim0404 View Post
    my only concern, this lack of sleep has made me so tired that my supply has dropped drastically, any bright ideas to remedy this?
    You could try fenugreek capsules to try to increase your supply. See the following link for where to buy in HK:

Fenugreek --where can I get?

(If the link doesn't work, search "fenugreek" in the feeding baby forum)

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    are you sure your baby is not just hungry? cos in the other post, you said your supply is decreasing and milk supply is lowest at the end of the day. perhaps your last breastfeeding session is just not enough to tie her over as before?

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    First of all, thanks for all the advice and support.
    I think my baby is still adjusting cos the night before she went back to her old schedule, drank at 9pm(BF) and slept through till 5am. Then last night I woke her up at 12pm for a feed (BF) but she still wakes up at 4am!
    Usually I do feed her before sleep 11 or 12pm(BF) and usually she gets up once 4am or 5am, but the 3 times waking was really a little "abnormal" for her that's why I posted earlier.
    Seems like my baby is still young and adjusting. And because my supply has dropped after I started work fulltime (8am-7pm) I think I must also re-adjust together with her.
    Btw I am pumping at work, at least 2X and each time 30-45mins at least (will try to up 3X or4X) and I BF her totally at night and on weekends as well. Hopefully my supply will increase though its tough with lack of sleep, no helper and all.
    Btw my DO is great, he helps with diaper change and rocking baby to sleep at night if I am just too tired.

I think mummies are incredible for all the sacrifice and hardwork put in and here's a salute to all mummies!!

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    btw, am sure you have found out already, but you can get more milk by pumping more frequently with less time than doing away with less pumps, but pump for 1 hour. Usually 20 min or so is enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12