Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frequent waking up at night??

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

Frequent waking up at night??

My baby is 2.5mths.
    She usually drinks her milk (BF) on 2hrs interval in the day and aftering drinking last feed around 9pm+ she will sleep for about 6hrs and get up once at night at 3am or 4am and sleep again till morning.(6 or 7am)

However, since I started working 1 week ago, she still drinks my EBM from caretaker and I bf at night.
    But she seems to wake up on a 2-3hrs interval at night, or waking up at least 2 times a night!
    Wonder if anyone have similar experience and what can be done. Some friends suggested not feeding her even when she wakes up and let her cry back to sleep.....I don't feel too good about that, but with the lack of sleep, I am struggling in the day as my job is pretty hectic too

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Your baby is 2.5 months old, give her time. Most babies don't 'sleep through' til they are 6 months old and many not til later. And remember that sleeping through for a baby means 6 hours, not 8 or more.

You need to decide which type of parent you are. The one that believes in letting your child cry when she is hungry so long as it teaches her to sleep or someone who believes babies cry for a reason and need to be attended to. Be it for hunger, for love, because they are cold/hot etc.

Personally I am the latter but I know plenty of people who put their babies on strict routines early on and the babies seem fine. I think that being tougher on babies that are a bit older (say 4 months) is ok but any younger and who knows what message it is sending your child by not responding to its cries.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    yuukalim0404,
    From what I understand, a baby makes up for not being able to breastfeed during the day by wanting to breastfeed a lot at night. So I think that is why this started happening when you went back to work...even though you are feeding her EBM from a bottle, she is just missing getting the milk directly from you since that is what she is used to. I am with aussiegal that 2.5 months is too early to not meet her needs. Just think of it as your baby really missing you and making up for lost time at night. Give it some time.

thanks gals, I agree so that's why I am hanging in there without much sleep...I love my bb so I understand she wants to be close to me whatever she can.

my only concern, this lack of sleep has made me so tired that my supply has dropped drastically, any bright ideas to remedy this?

little mum is offline Registered User
    I don't know whether it can help you, but it may be a good idea to do a baby massage to your bb before sleep. I know baby massage can help bb to sleep better and you can have a good bonding time with your baby to make up the time in the day. I massage my baby everynight and I enjoy this time alot. But remember to buy some good baby massage oil, I use the organic ones.

little mum - how to massage and where to buy these massage oils? thanks

Paddles is offline Registered User
    I'm not sure how many days this has been going on for, but she could also be having a growth spurt - fairly common at 2.5 months, so it may be genuine hunger that is causing her to act this way.

For massage oils you can just use natural oil such as grapeseed or even olive oil. The grapeseed oil doesn't smell and is really good for their skin, I use it on my girls.

little mum is offline Registered User
    yuukalim0404, the massage procedure is quite easy. From bottom up, gently massage the feet, then leg, then stomach, then the back and finally lower back. (I learn this from a book, maybe other mom has different methods)

I used to use Cherub Rubs calm oil, but my recent favourite is Mei Mei baby oil. They are both certified organic.

If you want me to email a copy of the massage method to you, just let me know. I can PM you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast