Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Supply dropped after started work??

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

Supply dropped after started work??

I started fulltime work last Monday and had been expressing milk since then.
    I realised before I can pump 5.5oz from left side and 3oz from right if I have not expressed for 5-6hrs.
    Now ( since this Monday) even after 6 hrs I can only pump 3.5oz left side and 1.5oz right side!!

Below is my schedule please help to see if I can do to increase supply? I have already tried pumping more frequently at work...

5-6am BF one side, pump the other
    11am pump both sides at work
    4pm pump both sides
    7pm pump one side
    9pm BF one side
    12pm BF one side, pump the other
    Night ( 2am-5am) depends if she wakes up either BF or pump one side if she does not at 5am

does anyone else experienced this problem before? I feed her exclusively on breastmilk so if I do not have enough it is very worrying ( which i know worrying also decrease supply!)

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    So you are feeding/pumping exactly as before going to work, but the amount is less? if so, maybe you are stressed at work leading to less milk. But it could also be slightly blocked ducts which leads to slower flow and therefore less milk.

elephantine is offline Registered User
    How old is your baby? I'm not a lactation expert but based on experience, I think the following could help:
    - pump both sides whenever you do pump (e.g. at 7pm). Don't worry about not having enough milk to feed from the second side for your next feed because eventually more pumping will stimulate the breasts to produce more milk. you could start by pumping just a little from the second breast and gradually increase that as your supply increases.
    - whenever you BF, try to have the baby take both sides (again, more stimulation = more milk production)
    - do more BFs than pumping on weekends, because your baby can extract more milk from you than a pump and thereby stimulate more milk production
    - try to fit in an extra pumping session between 11am and 4pm (e.g. in your lunch hour), even just for 5-10 minutes. Though I imagine that with a busy workday, this is easier said than done!
    Last edited by elephantine; 11-13-2008 at 10:53 PM.

rebekah is offline Registered User
    agree with elephantine, just wanted to reiterate that your body will respond to more frequent, shorter pumping sessions better than it will to less frequent longer ones. It does take usually at least 24 hours for the supply to meet the demand you are putting on it by pumping more frequently. The more often you pump, the more milk you will make, as an empty breast "fills" faster than a full one.

Also, maybe when you pumped before you were around your baby? you might try to bring a photo that makes your insides melt, a piece of clothing that smells like her, etc. to help stimulate the let down response.

Baby is 2.5mths.
    Work is busy and it is already hard to squeeze in 2X pumping, but I will try to aim for at least 3X but shorter pumps... Also usually my last pump at work is 6pm and when I arrive home at 7pm, I need to BF baby straight away and I am indeed worried if I just pump at 6pm there will be not enough or no milk left...according to elephantine, I should still go ahead and pump both sides instead of "reserving" one side for her?

yes, you can always feed her both sides then. feed one side, then the other, and if she's still frustrated you can offer the first one again. she may be frustrated but in a few days your body will see that that is a time you need more, and an empty breast fills faster than a full one. an hour should be more than enough time to "fill"

rebekah- actually I have tried pumping before and offering her the pumped breast 2 hrs later and then my breast still feel so empty and soft and I feel she gets "nothing" just suck-suck-suck and no swallow...that's why I always reserve one side, beacuse she gets so fussy and crys so bad if she is not full!
    But I will try in order to get supply up for the long run, thanks

maybe pump just until you have a let down on one side, instead of a full session? i am not sure, i only know the principles. again i really recommend that you call La Leche League; the link is in the PM i sent last night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast