Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Kennedy Town

piper is offline Registered User

Kennedy Town

We are new to Hk (6 months) and are presently living in Soho, but seeing that I'm pregnant - we def need more space. We just saw a flat in Kennedy town - Mount Davis 33.
    We are definitely interested in moving to Kennedy town, but I just had a few concerns/questions. How long does it take you to get to Central in rush hour? What about supermarkets? Restaurants? Coffee shops?

Any advise or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot, Piper

rebekah is offline Registered User
    Hi Piper

We live on MDR. We actually find that it's fairly convenient for getting to central, but there really isn't anything local. There is a wellcome at belcher's that is large, getting to central is rarely more than 15 minutes, but as far as restaurants go, we tend to go into town.

Sorry if that is disjointed...I'm multitasking!

piper is offline Registered User
    Hi Rebekah,

Thanks alot..just one quick question. How difficult is it to get a taxi in rush hour. My hubby works in central.

Thanks,
    Piper

goodbye kitty is offline Registered User
    Piper,
    It takes up to 30 mins on the bus to get to Central (traffic along Des Veoux Rd). Taxi is around 15 mins and will cost about $40-50 with the new price increases. Getting a taxi become difficult after 9am but I leave earlier than that and rarely have a problem. The supermarkets closest to you are fairly local but there is a wellcome superstore in The Westwood (under the Belchers) and they will deliver (much wider range).

There are a couple of nice restaurants if you hunt around. La Bagette is a quiet European place. There's also a Tapas place on Smithfield (but I haven't seen it open in a couple of weeks), an Idian Restaurant and lots and lots of Japanese places as well as good local places (some really good cheap hk cafe type places). There is a coffee shop and several bars that you can hang out and have a lime soda in before the big day!

geomum is offline Registered User
    How long does it take you to get to Central in rush hour?
    Waiting time for taxi in the mornings around 9am is about 10- 15 mins. Rest of the day no issues ever finding a taxi. To Central it takes 10 mins by taxi, 15 mins by green minibus and much longer by bus via Des Vous Road.

What about supermarkets?
    The Wellcome and Parknshop in Kennedy Town sell mostly local stuff. But Parknshop International in Cyberport is not far and like others said Wellcome in Belchers is alright too.

Restaurants? Coffee shops?
    There are NO nice restaurants here in Kennedy Town. Only the ones others mentioned. La Baguette opens after 6pm, sells decent food. The food at the Indian Restaurant is not at all appetizing. The Japanese place is overly expensive and has minute portion size. There is no Starbucks or Pacific Coffee here.
    Few places on Davis Street ---The Place(Coffee shop & Pub, used to sell nice coffee but not any longer.) Zig Zag (Sells pizza, sandwich, pasta etc etc), Davis and The Pier (Pubs). We go to town to dine.