Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Extremely low iron levels

MisB is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Extremely low iron levels

All of my blood work came back and the only concern was my low levels of iron. Can this potentially be harmful to my baby? Anyone else experience this?

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I have the same problem and did so even before I fell pregnant. My levels were very close to anemic when I was tested so my GP put me on prescription iron tablets since the beginning of the year and they haven't really made much of a difference. She thinks my body just does not absorb iron efficiently, but she thinks the baby should be getting enough and will be OK (i'm due in 3 weeks).

I have read that taking iron tablets with Vitamin C does help the body to absorb the iron. So try taking them with a glass of orange juice.

I'm also a vegetarian so I can't get iron from red meat, but their are alternatives like pumpkin seeds, beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils, greens, including collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, and turnip greens, tofu, vegetables, including broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts, chicken and turkey

shoni is offline Registered User
    I had the same, not sure it will or could be harmful to baby, as baby will take what they need and leave little left for mummy. I was on iron tablets for the whole of my pregnancy (from 5 weeks!) and still need to take now occasionally.

The main thing is feeling low, tired and dizzy. Can result in fainting too.

Speak to your doctor, see if they recomend iron tablets if your iron levels are that low.

Hope this helps.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    I was feeling like that too, though my doctor did not think it justified a blood test (????). She told me to eat an egg a day - lots of iron there she said.
    As far as hurting your baby, I read that although the mother feels awful, rarely does the baby get affected an almost always has normal iron levels upon birth. So, any of the iron you`re getting now, is being taken by the baby. They`re fine - you`re not.
    Have an egg! Oh, and according to my doctor, if you`re feeling faint, don`t make love (again, ?????).