Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Buggy direction impacts child

rebekah is offline Registered User

wonder what these researchers would have to say about the phil and ted!

As parents, we just make the best choice for our situations, and obviously buying a stroller in hong kong seems to be a much more difficult decision than it is in other places, as the requirements are very different. Small light and compact trump nearly anything else...

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Personally I always had the baby facing me til 3 or 4 months old so I could talk to them and see whether they were happy, spitting up etc. Then I would turn them so they could start to see and learn about the world.

It's fairly obvious that talking to your baby is very important but unless you leave your child in a stroller for long amounts of time I can't see the damage of letting them sit facing forward to the world and talking to them when they are at home or you have stopped walking.

Still, anything that reminds parents to talk to their children is good. I know some parents that really don't talk to their babies. Bizarre.

MLBW Guest

From reading the article it didn't seem to me that this experiment controlled for other factors--such as parent interaction with babies in other times outside of stroller time. To me it seems like a question of "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" I really don't think that which direction the baby faces for short periods of time while in a stroller had huge bearings on his/her social interaction skills. Maybe in the case of the babies facing toward the parents, that is some of the most quality, face-to-face time they get with their parents on a day-to-day basis. Whereas, children faced away from parents might have parents interacting with them the entire day, day after day and have lots and lots of face time except for the short time they spend in the stroller. I know that with our son, when he was faced toward us, he tended to lean out the side of the stroller to look around and see where he was going instead of just staring at us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12