Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buggy direction impacts child

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Neha is offline Banned
    we always preferred facing the baby

Dink is offline Registered User
    Great, something else to worry about. We wanted a buggy that faced us (on my mum's advice, back in the day the baby always faced the mum in the pram) but we couldn't find one that seemed easy to get around on taxis and buses with.... oh well, I expect our little one will survive the emotional deprivation somehow ;-)

jjmum is offline Registered User
    I agree with Dink, not easy to get around with, and not easy to find one out here to begin with!

carey is offline Registered User
    I've also saw this on the Pearl or World news. I am only 13 weeks now, My husband had always said he preferred a away-facing Buggy for the reason that most of us think--baby can see where they are going .

After we heard about the news, we are reconsidering which to buy now. But we are a little skeptical because there might be a new study came out one way telling parents otherwise. Also, mothers are supposed to keep their eyes on the road while pushing the baby. Wouldn't it endanger the baby and mother if the mother focusing on talking to him/her instead of paying attention to the traffic?

I have also been pondering that perhaps by the time we need one, some manufacturer would have come up a buggy that can be pushed in both directions, which saves us from worrying.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    The bugaboo faces either way. When our bub was young (say until 7-8 months) she always faced us. Then, when a little older and really interested in the world around her, she preferred to face the other way. Now she's 15 months we move things around to suit her mood - for singing and playing while we walk it's facing us, when going somewhere new with lots to see it's facing out.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    There are some interesting articles debunbking that study: mianly because the interpretation of front-facing strollers cusing 'stress' to baby is based on a very slightly higher heart rate in babies facing forwards. This may be as much due to the extra stimulation as to 'stress'.

Language delay is not 'caused' by the short time (most) babies spend in a stroller. There's a lot of debate over causes of 'language delay' and certainly parent to baby communication is important. BUt to blame it all on parents (read: mums....) who buy the cheaper option? Really unsure about that one.........

rebekah is offline Registered User
    I think that it's obvious you talk to your child more when they face you...can't believe someone paid to fund this study... but that isn't always what it's about when in the stroller. sometimes you are somewhere new, sometimes they just want to look around. The leaps made from "talking more" to an effect on child development are a bit much, in my opinion.

We flip baby around depending on the situation. I also think stress measured in a baby in HK with a million hands trying to touch them would absolutely be increased!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast