Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Car Seat for taxis?

jaetee is offline Registered User

Car Seat for taxis?

We are trying to find a carseat that is lightweight yet safe, and can be (fairly) easily installed in taxis. Does anyone have any suggestions? We would love to be able to use it for baby from 2 years to 5 years old.

Thanks.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi Jaetee,
    Are you looking for something that you can clip into a stroller or are you happy to carry the car seat around when you get to your destination?

I have spent months looking for something to safely transport my 12 month old in a taxi. I am a bit of a weakling so don't think I could carry a car seat and push my little one in a pram and carry the shopping all at once!

In the end I ordered a couple of items from the US. A "Joey Safe" and something called "Travel Vest" (the latter via Amazon.com). These are not car seats but work as travel harnesses. These are obviously not as safe as a proper car seat but the Travel Vest is approved in the US by the relevant government authority and meets US standards (it wouldn't meet Australian standards I should add). These products are aimed at the 2-5 year age group (they are too big for my little one). If you google the names of the products you will be able to read about them.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    Thanks Sherwes - I have the Travel Vest as well, but I was hoping to find an actual car seat. Best case is if I could clip it into a stroller-type apparatus, but if not something lightweight and safe, but an actual seat, would be fine. :)

LeahH is offline Registered User
    There is also the Eddie Bauer portable car seat - sort of halfway between the two.

Kat76 is offline Registered User
    I've got a Peg Perego car seat which clips into my pram. This is really heavy though and the belts in the taxi's aren't long enough to use it properly.