Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I don't understand why......

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

MayC, don't feel bad. Everyone does the best job they can and in the end, just because one child sits through a meal and another one doesn't, has no impact on who they grow up to be :)

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

we've been 'blessed' to have twin girls who will sit for an hour and eat - since they've been 10 months but then since they were 6 months, they were put in a high chair to eat at all mealtimes. We let them play with toys til they were nearly 1 year old but now no toys at mealtimes although we've had books.

What works is that they have PHYSICAL activity before we go to the restaurant - running around a park, climbing up and down the slide, even running around a shopping mall screaming their heads off, as long as they've released some of that energy and are hungry, they are happy to sit in a highchair and eat - plus they like looking at people walking in and out so we prefer busier restaurants and putting the girls facing a lot of activity (for example Fat Angelos in Elgin Street - we always ask for the table right by the window, so they can watch people on the escalator, cars, bikes etc.) We've found 1 hour is enough to order eat and pay and go. The embarrassing part for us is the amount of mess they leave (on table, highchair, floor..) plus neither will wear a bib anymore so their clothes are dirty......

Interesting thread btw.

snagito is offline Registered User

We don't give our nearly 3 year old any juice at home and he thinks it is available only at restaurants, parties and on an airplane. ..So as long as he is hungry he is happy to sit in a restaurant on his high chair or booster until his meal comes (we obviously ask for it the moment we get in!) -he generally enjoys his food but creates a LOT of mess (yes we too are embarrased by the amount of mess and feel sorry for the staff and end up giving them a bigger tip than we otherwise would!) ..then while we eat our food, we order a glass of juice for him and then he sips it slowly till we finish, pay the bill and make a run for it! We've taken him out to restaurants since he was about 10 months old and all of us enjoy it, he is so thrilled with his 'special drink' and knows that if he doesn't eat his meal that he isn't hungry enough for 'special drink'
    Anyway I know it might not work for everyone, but I think promising something a little special at the end of the meal is not a bad idea if it keeps everyone happy..

noc
    noc is offline Registered User

I also tire my child out before we go to a restaurant, to get all his energy out. I think that every child has needs to have time where he needs to sit and unwind, and we try to coordinate this with our meals. And for the actual meals, we also introduce things to keep him happy. We start with the most boring (e.g. puffs) then proceed on with books, toys, and finally when we are busy with our main course, we give him the most new and interesting things, e.g. a favorite toy or a new food. We also save juice for meal times. We enjoy our family meals, and I think our child has now learnt to enjoy sitting at the table with us, playing with her various foods, listening to our chatter and watching our faces.

I think that being able to take a child out to a restaurant is especially important in cases where the mom doesn’t have a helper. My friend avoided eating out for the 1st two years of her first born’s life because he would not sit still and threw tantrums. She ended up feeling isolated and very depressed, and her son became scared of everyone other than his mom. He son only learnt to eat out when the mom decided with her 2nd born that she would not let her children run the show anymore. So she taught both kids to have meals at the table. Of course there were some problems, but it turned out fine, and all kids happily eat with their parents at the table and most importantly, the parents are so much happier overall.

My friend said, and I think this is true, that as parents you have to set rules for children, and I think that sitting down for a dinner is one of the things.

Neha is offline Banned

Thanks Somebodyfamous. We tried it yesterday took him to the park he ran and had fun and then took him for early dinner. Not only did he sit in the highchair for an hour( must be record for him) he also ate.

1510 is offline Registered User

I think the super high noise level in HK is a blessing in disguise. My daughter is 13 months old and we always make it a point for her to sit down during our meals, since we have no helper. Initially she got cranky but we just kinda ignored her and now she has outgrown it. We make sure to bring along/bribe her with a bit of snacks and toys.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

wow Neha, glad to hear I could help you guys - you're always giving me great advice!

I reread what I wrote and realise, you now know I'm that mum that has the girls running in a shopping mall screaming ahahahahahahah

Neha is offline Banned

well somebodyfamous this weekend is elements mall where there will be lot of running and screaming as last weekend the escalator was a bit too risky for me

Thanks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Scroll to top