Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Walking with stroller in HK

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I would definately say you can get away without a pram for at least the first 6 months. My baby was 95th percentile weight for his age so I couldn't carry him in the Baby Bjorn past 5 months. However, if you didn't buy a pram and always used a baby carrier you would expect that your strength would improve as your baby gradually grows so you could probably carry the baby for longer.

Once the baby really is too heavy for the Baby Bjorn style carrier you could buy one of the baby backpacks. We have one which is the Phil and Ted brand. It's like a backpack harness and has a seat for the baby to sit in. I am actually not strong enough to carry my son any distance in the backpack but, again, if you used it regularly you would get stronger (think of how many calories you would burn!). My husband can easily walk up and down the stairs from Conduit Rd to Hollywood Rd with baby in the backpack.

Rebekah, I can't believe that someone else uses the Quinny Buzz seat in taxis. We do this as well and I thought I was so original - ha ha! Certainly not ideal but better than many alternatives I have found.

Mom2Sofie&Twins, can you push the pram from Tai Tam to Stanley along footpaths? Can you push the pram from your apartment block to the reservoir along a footpath?

Neha is offline Banned
    our son is 2 years old and very light so we have hardly used our pram in these 2 years as he doesnt like it much and now he wants to walk on his own.

We could have done without buying the pram

norah is offline Registered User
    oh my god this city is so stroller unfriendly. I used to cry myself to sleep every night when we moved here from the countryside in the UK a year ago. I was heavily pregnant, carrying my toddler inside my stroller up and down flights of stairs constantly, nobody offering help, I wanted to die.

But back then we lived in Central. Now, thank god, we live in Sai Wan Ho, in The Grand Promenade, the area is perfect for strollers, you can walk all along the promenade to Tai Koo and CityPlaza, plus loads and loads of playgrounds, etc. I love it here.

I think the sacrifice is you have to live a little further out from the main centre if you want a problem free stroller experience.

Best of luck,
    Sophie

mushi is offline Registered User
    Happy valley is a great area to stay....centrally located....it is like a quiet small town in the middle of this bustling city....wide pavements, trees and a big green sit out area plus indoor and outdoor parks makes it very baby-friendly.....i am truly happy living here.

mushi is offline Registered User
    i think that havinga pram is a must.....how much can u keep carrying yr baby with you...even in a carroier....if u ahve shopping bags it is easier hanging them on the pram or in a havesack on yr back than attempting tp carry baby and all together......plus what about the times when the baby is sleeping? when he wants to feed? the pram is the best place he can be in even if u r on the road and need to give him a quick snack or a quick nap......sure it is not easy managing a stroller in HK, but u can buy a lightweight combi one maybe a second-hand if money is the issue and life would be a lot better.....i use my stroller all the time.....and i use only public transport....a little bit of practoce is all it takes,

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User
    if your husband doesn't mind traveling to & from work on the ferry each day. you guys could consider Discovery bay. A great place to live, it have its own community ie shops, supermarket, school, doctor, nice restaurants and most important lots of area for children to play and walk around. i suggest you go there on a weekend and look at the place.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    hi there!
    i have 2 boys, no helper, and live in a walk-up in central. if i am taking the boys to playgroup i often don't take a stroller and opt to carry both of them. yes you will get stronger as the kids grow. My elder son 22mths, is able to walk quite a bit now so it's been a little 'easier' these days. if we go out as a family, we definitely bring a stroller. (i've got 4 - bugaboo, phil and teds double, graco edt, and a cheap umbrella stroller which was an emergency purchase on one of our trips). Each one works for us depending on what we need for the day but lighter is definitely best. The summers in HK are really hot and humid and carrying a child for any amount of time in the heat is really tough. nice to have a break and just push the stroller.

we looked around quite a few places but decided to stay in our current flat - we've lived here for 5years now. We chose convenience over a stroller friendly neighborhood. We grocery shop, run errands, etc all as a family so it really helps to be really close to everything. We live off of Staunton St. and can walk down to Central in 10mins - no stairs. We literally don't travel more than 10-15mins ever!! Doctor, OB, pediatrician, dentist, are just on Queens Road, Groceries just up the road or organics in Central, school is a 5min taxi ride away, botanical gardens, playgroups, etc. all in the same area.

The higher up the mountain you go in midlevels, the more inconvenient it is to run around so my limit is at Caine Rd. living close to your spouses work may be something to factor in especially if he will work long hours. If he then has a 40-60min commute after work, it will be hard for your husband to see the baby before he/she goes to bed at night. Being close can also mean meeting up for lunch once a week or doing dr. appointments together during that time - which may be nice since you are new to hk.

We also use the lightest possible stroller so it's manageable up/down a small flight of stairs.

It must be overwhelming to move to HK. I moved here without a kids and found it challenging the first year or so. I just missed home so much. No matter where you choose to live, you will find a way to make it work for your family. Just pick a place that feels most like home when you walk in. In the worst case, you can always move again next year :) good luck on your move!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    I didn't use a stroller for at least the first 4 months with both my kids. They hated it.
    I found a carrier the easiest, stress free way to navigate the city. Bubs was totally comfy and content.
    In winter, it'll be fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast