Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How long to get pregnant after the pill?

hope2008 is offline Registered User

How long to get pregnant after the pill?

Hi all, I am new to the forum and I was wondering how long it is taking you or how long it took you to get pregnant after being on the pill for years.

I have been on the pill for 14 years and I stopped taking it in April. Still not pregnant after 5 cycles....
    How much should I worry?

capital is offline Banned
    I took the pill for years. It took 3 cycles to have normal cycles. I kept track, the first was really short, the next normal, the next really long, then after they were normal, but it was not until our 9th cycle that I actuallly got pregnant

cwbmum is offline Registered User
    After coming off the pill after 6 years it took me 15 months to get pregnant. I didn't try for the first 3 so 12 months of trying. I didn't start the pill again and when my first child was 18 months old we started trying again, it took me another 7 months of trying. Everyone is different I guess.

ladybug is offline Registered User
    It isn't just the length of time you've been on the pill that factor into things. Also, age, general health, and whether or not you ovulated monthly beforehand can make a difference. I was on the pill for years and got pregnant the first cycle. I've had friends that had been on the pill shorter lengths of time that took over a year to get pregnant. Also, weight plays and important part. My friend tried to get pregnant for years after coming off the pill and finally did when she lost 9 kilos. You should talk to your doctor about things. My doctor told me not to even bother doing anything until a year has passed that I've stopped taking the pill. There are drugs like Clomid that you can take to start ovulation but I don't know anything about it. Definitely speak to your doctor.

Good luck.

hope2008 is offline Registered User

Smile

thank you for all the responses!
    It is comforting to know other also need some time. I always freeked out when I forgot to take one pill during the month and was affraid to get pregnant. If I knew than that it in fact is not so easy ... :-) Maybe that is the reason I feel kind of strange and longing for a baby more and more each time the result comes back negative. I get so sad that it even is hard to do "the act" because it is on my mind and all I think about is if the sperm will meet the egg... It just does not fit into the picture because I am still under 30, regularly workout, in shape and have got a healthy man... I even have troubles concentrating at work now and all I want is to stay home and have a baby...
    Thanks ladies, I will keep on trying!