Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Flaxseed oil

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Flaxseed oil

Anyone gives flaxseed oil to kids, what brand?

My boy is 2 yrs old and has dry skin. Thanks

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    You can also buy the flax seeds and grind them up in a coffee grinder to sprinkle on cereal, in salads, soups and just about anything.

eflats is offline Registered User
    Causeway Bay
    city super also has a package of ground flaxseed that we use in all sorts of things!

MLBW Guest
    I tried flaxseed oil with my son but he had an allergic reaction to it--broke out in hives--not life-threatening but an allergic reaction nontheless. If you are wanting to give flaxseed because of the omega-3 oils in it--you can also give fish oil that has been purified and distilled (to remove impurities such as mercury found in fish). This (below) is the type that I have used and used with my son--I add it to his hot cereal in the morning--it has as slight lemon flavor but he eats it willingly.

Now Omega-3 Fish Oil

If you do go with the flaxseed--I recommend using the actual flaxseed and grinding it into powder (this can be done with either a coffee grinder or a blender very easily). As someone already said, the powder can then be added to all sorts of foods very easily (it can also be used in baked goods). It has a nutty flavor but isn't overpowering. It is very important to use it as a powder as the seeds themselves aren't easily digested and will be nutritionally worthless unless they are ground up.

A brand of flaxseed that is readily available in HK (in most Welcome, Park n' Shop and other local grocery strores) is Green Dot Dot--all of their products are organic and are reasonably priced. I also think that they have their own shop in the Central MTR station.

Green Dot Dot

If you are adamant about having Flaxseed oil, I recommend using Udo's 3 6 9 blend:

Udo's 3 6 9 Blend

The oil is a bit more overpowering but can be blended with different semi-liquid foods. I doubt most babies or children would willingly drink it on it's own.

Scroll to top