Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Crying it out

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    Glad to know others are up and going through it!
    Starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. First night he had 2 sets of crying ( I'm doing controlled version): one 90 mins and one 20 mins, second night he woke up 3 times, but only took about 5 mins each time to fall asleep, night 3, woke up 2 times but I only had to lay him down in his cot before he stopped crying and chattered to himself before he went straight off. Unfortunately, a power poop woke him up properly at 5:30, so that was the end of that night. Tonight, actually slept from 7:30 until 3:40 (whooo!). It's now 4:05 and after 3 bouts of crying and some chattering all is quiet. Will wait a few mins before popping my head round. Part of the problem seems to be that he stands up wants me help to get down... so we're spending a lot of time during the day practising this.
    Peainpod - hang in there. Takes a while to get back on track - I was nursing mine every 2 hours a month ago out of desperation to get him over his jet lag and because I just didn't have the energy to get out of bed. Takes determination, lots of chocolate and lots of rambling posts to keep you company in the wee hours!

Wondering if anyone did CIO for extended length of time? With my first kid, it only took 3 days until we had a full night's sleep. (Same age with her...9 months) NOw with this one, after a positive improvement for 3 days (not sleeping through, but less crying), he has had a long bout of crying ( on and off for over an hour) for the last 4 nights. Listening to him is pure torture, and it's started to affect my 3 year old as he is waking her up in the small hours.
    I know there's nothing wrong with him, as he's as chirpy as anything during the day and is fine until I leave the room --then he screams blue murder! AHHHHH.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Wanfamily, both our kids took a long time to CIO...like you, it would be torture for us but we stuck with it. We started back in Oct and our now 9mth old didn't really stop crying before bed until very very recently and some nights we still have 5-15mins of crying but no more 1hr marathons. The thing with him was, he would cry on and off for 1hr but after that he would sleep through for 12-13hrs, now we are back to 12hrs. But in your case, since he is not sleeping through, do you know why? is he hungry? growth spurt? how do you get him back to sleep when he wakes up in the middle of the night?

hang in there...hubby and i used to sit there and bitch at each other over silly things when the baby was crying. i know how stressful and upsetting it is...took us 4mths but we are happy we stuck with it.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    sorry forgot to mention that we would have good nights or even the week we were in singapore - absolutely no crying and then relapse over and over again...not sure why but it was a very very gradual process for our 2nd son to stop crying to sleep.

That's good to know. No, I know he's not hungry - he's well over 10kg and eats like anything during the day. He just likes 'mummy comfort' (bless him) Stops crying the moment I put a hand on him. (and starts the moment I take it off) He loves co - sleeping (which I did for a few months), but then he'd wake up every few hours and just nurse for comfort. I didn't sleep properly when he was with us either. I'll stick at it....must be light at the end of the tunnel at some point!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    the fact that your son cries when you leave and stops when you are with him was similar to us. he would stop as soon as we picked him up. this was a sign for us that our son definitely needed to cry it down as nothing was bothering him except he just wanted the comfort of us. it's definitely a work in progress, but his sleeping habits are 99% better and i would say once or twice every 2 weeks he will wake up, but it's usually due to teething or a really wet nappy. we just stay consistent as best we can and for the most part it's worked.

putput is offline Registered User
    How do you strike a balance when your child is ill? I'm trying to keep something of the sleep training as we'd got my daughter to the point of sleeping through the night but now she has an ear infection and is waking up screaming for up to 3 hours. So far, I can't say I've handled it particularly well. Stayed out the room for up to an hr, gone in and held her hand for an hr, then worn out, walked out again and let her cry to sleep for around half hour. My only consistency has been my inconsistency! Poor girl doesn't know what the hell I'm doing, and quite frankly, neither do I!

putput is offline Registered User
    Forgot to say, my daughter is also suffering from seperation anxiety which occured at the same time or was triggered by the ear infection, and now suddenly is scared of her bath before bed and won't let me lie her down to dress her etc. She'll feed then hold my hand to go to sleep just fine but then wakes up screaming a couple of hours later. I can't tell if it's an 'i'm in pain' scream or a 'where are you?' scream as her crying style has changed recently and all sounds the same to this worn out mum!

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast