Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Crying it out

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Oh no! Sorry I think when they are sick it's normal for them to be clingy. When my son is sick he only wants mommy and will literally sit ontop of me ALL day if i let him...Usually if it's a cold and nothing painful, we try to stick to the CIO but I've never been in a situation where they've had an ear infection...can you give panadol before bedtime so she is not in pain?

putput is offline Registered User
    Milkmonster,

How long did it take you to train your son when he was 10 months old for day time naps and what did you do? I'm going mad and getting increasingly frustrated and miserable at not succeeding in training my daughter for her day time naps. I try sitting in the room and making no eye contact as this is what worked for nighttime sleep. I've had about 50% success over the past week. It sounds better than it is. 50% as in screams for an hour and then falls asleep or gets one nap in the whole day around midday falling asleep after 5 minutes having been up from 6am.

I'm at breaking point and am so,so fed up.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    have you tried first recording when he begins melting down or getting over-tired? when i trained my son's daytime naps and overall sleeping schedule, i first started to record everytime he would show signs of getting tired. i used my notes to formulate his own schedule. Once you have the approximate times, create a routine and stick with it. when my son goes down for a daytime nap, we walk into his room together, pull his curtains closed, i gave him a little ****/cuddled and then put him down totally awake. Then I tip toe out and it takes about 5-10 mins for him to put himself to sleep. we have not veered from this routine since 6 months and he is now 13 months.

Thanks for your response, Southside852. She sleeps from 6.30pm-6.00/6.20am and then seems to show signs of tiredness 50 minutes after waking. That seems a little early though for a 10mth old, doesn't it? I put her down around 1.5hrs after wake up and today it took her 1hr and 15mins to sleep then she slept for 45 mins. At 12.00 I put her down again as she showed signs of tiredness and then she cried, played, screamed, fiddled and talked alternating for around 1.5hrs and then fell asleep when I walked out in frustration after an hour. She then slept 45 mins again and now she's exhausted. If I don't get a morning nap out of her, she falls asleep around 11.30 and sleeps for 1.5hours. Either way I can only seem to get 1.5hours out of her and she is constantly tired and needing my attention as a result. How did you sleep train your son? I really wanted to take a 'gentle' approach but I'm wondering now is CIO the only option for me at this stage? I'm travelling in 3 weeks time and really need to get this sorted before then. I'm also at breaking point and am getting so agitated and miserable as a result.

mushi is offline Registered User
    HI PUTPUT, i have a 10 month old and i did CIO with him when he was 7.5 months old.....he sleeps well form 7.00 pm to 6.00 am every night but daytime i still rock him to sleep....after waking up at 6.00 am he needs to sleep at 9.30 am ...sometimes when he keeps wriggling in my arms although i know he is sleepy i just put him down ...he cries a little bit and then settles down himself....so for daytime i suggest see what makes both of u comfy....maybe a mix of rock and leaving alone.....but pl. follow the schedules completely....also maybe he is getting bord at home in the morning...try taking him to a park when he can enjoy diff sights and does not want to sleep so soon....hope this helps.

I think at 10 months your baby should be able to stay awake for at least 2 hours. some suggestions:
    -put down for bedtime at 7:30pm and then wake up at 6/6:30am
    -do not stay in her room after putting her down, just keep the door open a little so you can hopefully check on her without her seeing?
    - what do you do together when's she awake?
    - it's ok if she cries, it will eventually get less and less.
    - sleep training takes a good week if not more, just stick with the timing and routine and your daughter should get the hang out of things and what to expect.
    - remember that your baby wants structure and routine, it's our job is to provide it as best we can

Thanks so much for your responses, Mushi and Southside852.

Today has been a nightmare. I put her down at 7.30 after doing her routine and she cried till 8.45 then fell asleep for 50 minutes. Then at 12.00 I put her down again after lunch and routine and she cried till 2.30 at which point I picked her up and rocked her to sleep (haven't done that all week since starting the training but I was desperate!) and she slept for 20 minutes. Three days (not consecutively) she has been put down at slightly different times but fallen asleep between 8.30-9.00. Probably a daft question, but is this then her morning nap 'time' and should I put her down around 8.30? Could the problem be that I'm putting her down too early??? I put her down when she is showing signs of tiredness but then she's crying, fiddling, talking to herself when she's in the cot. Mushi, how many naps does your son have as I read in a previous post that he takes 40minute naps? Southside852, how long did it take to train your baby for daytime naps and did you go in and check once in a while or did you use the extinction method? Long post, sorry!

yes, i would give our son a quick cuddle and **** and tell him it's time for his nap. then i would put him down, close the door and walk out. i could hear through the door whether or not he was playing etc...of course, i would occassionally peek in to see. once he fell asleep, i would go in and cover him. if your baby wakes up at 6/6:30am (likes ours did), his nap time is usually between 8:30/9am. it sounds like hers would be the same. 45 minutes is 1 sleep cycle and so in the morning, that's usually all they have. the afternoon nap is usually when they go through two cycles. hope this helps!

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast