Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Crying it out

putput is offline Registered User

"I don't really want her crying throughout the day while training her" - I was referring to during my holiday.

mushi is offline Registered User

putput, my son used to wake up EVERY HOUR at night and he would be cheerful during the day inspite of that so i really can;t complian about him being cranky with a FULL NIGHT's sleep and 2 hrs daytime naps.....to answer yr question i think some babies need lessser sleep that others.....i would like to think that way instead of coaxing/forcing themt o sleep for another sleep cycle.....sometimes however when he wakes up in just 30 mins at afternoon nap i ask my helper to rock him back to sleep......this is more for me so taht i get more time to myself cause i know that if i dont do that extra sleep cycle he would be just as fine!! so pls. check if yr baby really needs extra daytime sleep? one thing i read in one of yr comments is that yr baby wakes up at night 2-3 times.....now how long is she awake at that time? cause mine sleeps thru the night ..i would say 2 weeks is enough time to adjust her to a new schedule --- infact my baby got it in 2-3 days and i was in a similar situation like yours.....i completely enjoyed my trip after the initial period of adjustment.....since i had scheduled every hour for my baby, i knkew when to stay at home and when to plan actvities outside with friends leaving a helper behind.....so pls. do work it out now before u leave.
    my own personal suggestion is that u ensure she sleeps thru the night by herself.......daytime u can manage rocking her to sleep if self-soothing is getting too difficult to achieve after 3-4 days.......all the best!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

so did the bath help?

agree with mushi that some babies just need less sleep than others, both my kids are really unmanageable if they don't get enough sleep.

I found once i was able to sort out the night sleeping - as in, no wake ups, the day time naps went better as well and were more consistent. sorry i must have missed that your baby still wakes in the night. if it were me, i would work on fixing that first because somehow it does affect everything else. including appetite (my sons don't eat well if they're tired) and general mood. how do you get her back to sleep in the middle of the night?

for us, and i have 2 really fantastic sleepers now, it took a really long time for both of my sons to get into a good sleeping routine, nearly 2mths. but each child is different and my younger one requires much less sleep (i can hear that he wakes up once in the early morning and then will babble back to sleep) than the older one and can overall cope better when he's tired.

is there any time change for your travel? when we travel, we are more flexible and don't stick with our schedule. I would suggest you stick with it for the next 2 weeks but be flexible but as close to your home schedule as possible. if you're too stressed about it, you won't be able to enjoy your holiday and the whole point is to have a good time and relax. you can resume your sleep training when you get back. who knows, by then your baby may have gotten the hang of it. My elder son learned to sleep through in canada and came back to hk without too much trouble...well again a few weeks but that was not too much trouble by our standards for him.

i'd work on getting her to sleep through the night during the next 2 weeks and see if it helps the day time naps.

Hi both,

No issues with nighttime sleeping. She sleeps through the night : 6.45pm-6am. That post may have been when she was 8 months and I'd just started sleep training or when she had an ear infection, although when I started sleep training her for daytime naps, she did start waking up crying at night but would settle after 20 mins. Her mood also changed during the day - she was miserable! ...and she had way more bowel movements, for some reason, especially when I would leave her to cry. When I caved in a few days back, I haven't gone back to day training as I wanted to hear back as to whether 2 weeks is enough time to get daytime naps sorted. I'm definitely keen on Nic's idea so will be giving that a go but is 2 weeks enough time as I don't want to be 'training' at my parent's place and confusing my daughter even more? Mushi, apologies if it came across like I was implying your son is not getting enough daytime sleep as that certainly wasn't my intention. I meant to say that my daughter definitely needs more as she wakes up crying from her afternoon nap (and looks like we would if we'd been woken suddenly in the middle of the night) and is shattered by around 4pm.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

oh putput, if my son wakes up crying, it usually means he didnt get enough sleep....i will go in, calm him with a hug and a few pats and then leave the room. he would cry but eventually fall back to sleep and wake up babbling. your daughter sounds like shes tired...

mine took longer than 2weeks to stop crying before bedtime...but if you have the am nap sorted and its just the pm nap youre working on i think 2weeks should be enough time. i say stick with it!

Off to Dubai so 4 hours difference.

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User

aaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!
    Having given you my advice and deciding to let my part time helper look after my daughter while she had her 2hour lunch nap (which she has every day give or take 5 minutes) so I could go out baby-free, for the first time in months...... she woke up and the helper called me after 30minutes.
    I am SO disappointed! Sat here now listening to her cry, dreading how long this afternoon could be!

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. It's so tough especially when it all seems like it's sorted out! Hope she settled quickly.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast