Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Crying it out

mushi is offline Registered User

i have an idea....why don;t we all log on at 6.oo am tomorrow morning and give each other solace??? :) just joking!
    today i have made him sleep in a grobag just so that his legs don;t get stuck in the cot bars again...but i have a feeling he is going to poo-poo again in the night and that means one more layer to uncover!! help me God!

ok another piece of advice i need form u all....i am going on a holiday for 3 weeks to my home country and despite all my brave efforts here....i am worried that due to the "caring" methods of my family my baby would be back to pre-CIO....anyone who has travelled home before and faced this problem? how can i tell my mom...don;t pick him up and let him cry?

LeahH is offline Registered User

Oh dear, that is REALLY hard. We went home in October and had to explain to my Mum that she could not go to my daughter immediately and pick her up if she cried. She hated the method, but understood eventually that it was all for the better.

By the time you go, your bub may be quite good with sleeping. Ours was, but we found with the time difference and change in environment, she needed to CIO a little at the beginning.

I found that that a really, quiet gentle bedtime routine as close as possible to the style at home, with lots of familiar objects all around helped her settle better.

wanfamily is offline Registered User

Mushi, you've given me such a lift - nice to know there's other mum's out there who have forgotten what sleep feels like!
    I swore I was going to do pat pat shush the whole way with my 7 month old , and it was going sort of ok until about a month ago when he realised that he quite liked me spending hours on end patting him . A few days ago, he was sick, so I nursed him on demand and took him into bed with me. Now he's decided that the cot is evil and has been waking up every 2 hours. Falls asleep with a big grin on his face the moment I pick him up and then screams blue murder the moment I put him down.
    Probably going to do CIO next month (did it with my other one in desparation at 10 months and it worked in 3 days) Like you Mushi, I'm off home for Christmas and there'll be jet lag and sharing a room with my other daughter to deal with, so I'm going to wait as any sleep training will go out the window then. Depending on where you are going, the time difference and change of location can throw them out completely for a few days. (Did with my eldest anyway) So.. wonder how many hours of precious shut eye we'll get tonight!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

Hope everyone gets some sleep tonight!!!

clowe77 is offline Registered User

wow this is turning into a helpline for CIO mommies! it really gives me a lot of reassurance to hear your stories. last night was great for me personally - little baby slept 11.5 hours with a short 5min cry at 4am during which he settled himself. am stilll waiting for a relapse, but so far so good. poor milkmonster - your little ones sound like they are suffering and you too as a result. at least you know CIO works and can try again when they are better.

mushi, we are going back to north american for 3 weeks in a few weeks and we are not planning to do CIO as the time diff will be too much for him to bear anyway so it doesn't make any sense. where is your home country - similar time zone as hk?

Leah, you tried CIO while back in your home country? Wow, good for you that you could and it worked. With a 13 hr time diff, I'm thinkin it's not even worth it to try because baby will be so thrown off by jetlag anyway and it would be cruel to let him cry in the middle of the night when he thinks it's day time and is honestly hungry and his whole body just feels out of synch. Only to reverse everything on him again when we're back in HK after a few weeks! That seems unreasonable on mommy's part. plus, i'd feel horrid about keeping everyone up all night with his crying and ruining their days. I'll do CiO again when we're back here if need be.

mushi have you tried lining your cot with a bumper? ours is a lifesaver cuz our baby moves around so much in the night - does at least 2 or 3 full circles around the bed in the course of 10 hours! sounds like a bumper might help your situation too?

LeahH is offline Registered User

Clowe - With 13 hours time diff you may be ok when you arrive especially if it's a night flight and you arrive in the AM. From here to Europe was fine for us and once there we didn't really need to CIO at all. Coming back was a killer though, we didn't CIO when we got home for exactly the reasons you list above, it took around 5 nights for her to get back into her routine fully.

We used a little CIO when we went to NZ which is only a 5 hr diff and it was really to get her 'to' sleep when she really was tired, not when she woke in the night because of jetlag. It wasn't too bad actually, just a bit traumatic at first for my mum!

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast