Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Crying it out

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    yay!! Clowe, it's working for you!!
    I have to say my kids took/are taking much longer than 5-7days to CIO!! Glad to hear it actually works in that time span for most other moms.

WRT traveling and time change, when i did CIO the first time I had actually flown from HK to Toronto alone with baby and I would sleep all day literally from 4pm until 4am for the first week. I was sooo tired!! When he would wake up in the night to feed, I just fed him his milk, in the dark, in my bed. Yeah...so we developed some really bad habits.

after we finally adjusted our times, I turned to CIO. I actually talked to my inlaws in advance to see what they thought. My MIL raised 3 boys all 2yrs apart without any help so she was very familiar with the method already. It helped to talk to them beforehand so I wasn't caught in the moment with a crying baby and explanations to my inlaws.

In the mornings, when my son was up at 6am, i would leave my bedroom door open and when one of them would walk by, I would just say something like "oh it's not time to wake up yet" and they would retreat to their room.

I also explained why I need the baby to be independent, and that if the baby got used to being rocked or rescued, that when we went home, I would have to deal with all the bad habits on my own. They understood.

Happy travels!!! Here are some tips for dealing with jet lag!
    http://pokedandprodded.health.com/20...t-lag-in-kids/ Mostly for older kids but I think it's still a good approach.

Mushi, i use grobags too. We didn't do the cot bumper thing...no particular reason. I think we didn't have the need to since ours were in grobags from 2mths or so.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    So tonight I tried putting my 6mth old to bed earlier than usual. I was reading my suggestion for clowe to try putting her baby down earlier at nap time and realized maybe that's why I have been having such a hard time and the crying is lasting 45mins every other night!! I usually put him to bed around 7 or 730 but tonight I moved dinner up to 5pm, then bath at 6pm and bedtime at 645pm and he cried for 20mins on and off but he just sounded much better than the other nights! and the non-cry bits were much longer.

I'm so silly because I now remember with my older son, he used to have a 630pm bedtime for a while and would be up at 7 or 730am (my memory is soooo bad these days!!!). He went onto this later schedule of 7 or 730pm bedtime after he was 18 or 19mths i think. he didn't always wake up at 8am. Anyway I know I'm rambling but I'm sort of kicking myself because I feel like I should have know to put him to bed earlier!!! how could i not remember??? It's now 730 and the house is so quiet and I think I will call the baby sitter and go join my hubby for dinner to celebrate!! It will be our first dinner out without babies in 6mths!!!!

here is a link to other supportive parents of CIO that I was reading for comfort:
    http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/sleep/cry.html

mushi is offline Registered User
    wow, i really love this forum....after i put my kids to bed i really look forward to reading your comments!! milkmonster u sure make me laugh with yr humourous style of writing .... am sure it must be tough but how easy we all make it sound....i remember on those sleepless nights i used to swear i would not take it for even one more night but the next day would come and go and in the night i would be doing eactly the same thing - nursing, rocking and cursing!!

thanks for all yr advice ladies ...i will be on a 3 hrs diff in tome zone from HK so i hope its not going to be too bad and i should be able to continue CIO....though i plan to attend some family weddings out there and those days/evenings would create havoc for me....so i am keeping my fingers crossed/.

wanfamily....i am glad i can inspire u to do CIO...and yes it is a good thing u will be starting it only after u r back from your vacation....i wanted to wait too since i only had 2.5 weeks in hand before my trip.....but i had reached the very last straw as they say with nipples cracked, back breaking and a squirming baby in hand i was not left with much choice....in fact most of decision steemed form the fact that i could not carry him properly any longer....he would keep wiggling and i had to keep putting him down.

today was a "terrible mother day" for me....my abby has loose motions with a sore very red bum....so the day was spent cleaning poo and applying cream (PLEASE SUGGEST A GOOD NAPPY RASH CREAM) to a cranky and crying baby....then i thought of being an unselfish mum and reverted back to feeding him by breast instead of bottle so that he gets better soon.....not realising my milk has almost gone dry ....my baby did not get his full and kept being cranly all the time i thought it was because of his bum, and i kept blowing cool air onto his bum....when finally at lunch time he had double of what he had i Finally realised the problem!!....i gave him his bottle after that which he gratefully took......to add to that this evening i made him sit on my bed while i changed....but my poor baby fell off the bed onto the floor.....i still canlt forget that 'thud' noise....gosh i felt so very very lousy and guilty i can't express....he is fine though thank God!! ....and the final addition to my dreadful day was when he puked oout all his dinner thanks to his over enthusiastic mum who tried to shove a tiny piece of fried potato in his mouth thinking he would like it!! and the night is yet to pass.............GOD SAVE MEE!!

wanfamily is offline Registered User

Anyone done cio after co sleeping?

Was up for 3 hours last night patting and shushing - it was like he had a motion sensor on him. He'd be happily fast off with a grin on his face and then the moment I got into bed he'd be screaming! I went to him no less than 37 times (that's when I stopped counting!)Finally, realising that my toddler would be up for breakfast in a few hours I gave in and put him in bed with me where he happily slept for what was left of the night. He used to be not so bad until he was ill and I had a few nights letting him sleep with me. I also had his nap time sussed - a few pats in his cot every day at the same time and he was off. Unfortunately some lovely workmen upstairs have decided that naptime is the perfect time to start drilling holes in my ceiling, so the last few nap times, he's being cuddling me while I put the douvet over his ears every time the drilling starts. (If I don't he wakes up screaming - it is that loud that a CD player at loud volume can't mask it!)

Anyway..... Bad time for CIO now as he doesn't have his own room yet. (Can't really turn my hubby out of his study in the middle of his exams) plus we'll be off to the UK in 2 weeks and things will go belly up then. I'm tempted to give in and let him co-sleep with us until then, but then think it's going to be harder to train him if he's had 3 - 4 weeks of co-sleeping. I'm ok with a few pat pat shush's every night until then, but not most of the night like it is now. AHHHHHH. Anyone had anything similar happen??

The lyrics to my lullabies (on the confess your sins) are now unsharable!!

adahc is offline Registered User
    Has anyone does the CIO and share the bedroom with the baby?
    HOw do you do it if he wakes up at night and demand to be picked up?

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    I won't be doing it until he has his own room - We'll giving him his own room in Jan (hubby will be getting kicked out of his study!). Can't see how it would be possible in the same room. He puts his face against the bars, looks at me and screams - can't ignore that, so I comfort him and then put him back. Would be interested to know if anyone has managed it!

adahc is offline Registered User
    Is 11 monthstoo late to do CIO?

Paddles is offline Registered User
    Having had such great success with this method last night was terrible. She woke at 4.15 and cried until 5.45am when she finally nodded off - I didn't count the times I went in to see her but it was quite a few, I only picked her up once though and as soon as I did I got a big smile and a hug!! Put her straight back down but I think that put me back to square 1.

Am quite disappointed and disheartened that after being so good for a week she seems to have gone right back to the beginning. Hoping for a better night tonight!

I don't have the baby in our room, but I imagine the theory would be the same, except instead of leaving the room you lie down on the bed.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast