Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Crying it out

southside852 is offline Registered User

give it a try as it doesn't hurt! you and your husband should be on the same page when doing this so if patting on the back is where he is at in terms of comfort, that be supportive. you two should also be the ones sleep training your child and NOT your helper though it be good for her to observe so down the road, she can also model the right responses to your baby.

before CIO, we tried patting on the back, but every time we did it, my son thought it was playtime and immediately stood up in his cot....every child is different and responds differently to each approach.

(ps - sorry i posted twice in a row - have no clue what happened there!)

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

Yes, definitely try a softer approach and see if that works!!! We only resorted to CIO after other options like patting and pickup/putdown didn't work for us. Hopefully the other methods will work for you!!! Good luck!!!!

peainpod is offline Registered User

Thanks for all your support! I am happy to report that we have found success - so far (fingers crossed) - with the patting method.

We started just three nights ago (on Christmas night) when bubs was very tired after all day of celebrating. (We thought it would be easier that way...) Anyway, the first night was the hardest (as expected), since bubs did not understand why we wouldn't pick him up. But about 20-25 continuous minutes of patting (both hubbie and I), he stopped crying and we managed to pat him to sleep. He woke up an hour later crying and again, we had to pat continuously for about another 20mins.

Since then, it has become progressively easier. Second night we were able to put him to bed without patting but he started crying after about 10 mins alone and we had to go in and pat him to sleep (which took about 15 mins). Naptimes were quite easy, with fairly minimal patting.

Tonight (4th night), we put him to bed awake but sleepy, and he did not make any noise so we left the room. Of course we spent the next 10 mins hovering over the baby monitor waiting for him to make noise but surprise! - no crying at all (just a little bit of shuffling from him moving around the crib). After that, there was silence, and he just fell asleep on his own with no help from us at all!

I may have just lucked out on a good night and there will likely be some backsliding but I am just very very relieved that we finally have a sleep system in place for bubs. :yeah2

Thanks again everyone!

Congrats!!!! So glad it worked out for you!!!!

mushi is offline Registered User

hello ladies,
    i have so missed geobaby during my holidays....sp. this particular forum....but i am back now!! the CIO worked well on most days of my holiday though we did have some good/bad days/nights.....the most frustrating thing is that no one would understand CIO and the importance of schedules so i was ridiculed bigtime by family....all parties back home would begin at 7.30pm and i would politely excuse myself from the as i had no intentions of letting baby cry while i am having fun....soem nights when my mom stayed over i did get to go out but i was most happy having all the fun during daytime too.......hope u all did the same.

we had absolutly no crying while we were in singapore but came home and he cried for 10 days, every night. it was a bad relapse and i felt like we were starting all over again. but its been 2 weeks now and we haven't had any crying!! i am so thrilled. the boys are in bed by 7pm and up between 830 and 9am everyday. it's nice to have our lives back :)

mushi, it's hard when you don't have support for CIO and i totally know what you mean about not being able to 'have fun' while your baby is CIO. I literally sit like a zombie or in front of the door with my fingers crossed until he falls asleep.

good luck everyone else who is trying CIO!! stick with it, it will eventually work!!!

wanfamily is offline Registered User

Welcome back Mushi and Milkmonster!
    I'm just back from the most knackering Christmas ever and have now have major sleep problems. My MIL is having Chemo for breast cancer at the mo, so we couldn't have any crying at all. (In fact if he so much as snorted, we'd get a knock on our door. Can't really argue about it given the circumstances). Anyway the result was me nursing most of the night to keep him quiet- ahhh (It's a race between the bags under my eyes and my boobs as to which will reach my knees first!)
    Anyway, now back with 2 jet lagged kids I have a plan of action which is keeping me sane:
    1) Get them over the jet lag.
    2) Use the 'pick up put down'/ pat pat shush to get him used to sleeping in his cot again.
    3) The same but move him into his own room
    4) If need be CIO

He's 8 months now, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to be breaking out the bubbly by the time he's 9? 10?....(months not years I hope)
    I'll keep you posted!

Hope your MIL is ok...

you must be really tired!! for us, going over to Canada was always much easier than coming home. jet lag sucks and i am one of those who turns into a dragon when i'm tired so it's hell for hubby as well. babies scream at me, i scream at hubby...

there was another thread about getting baby to sleep in the cot. That mom just spent some time playing with the baby while baby was in the cot so the baby got used to being in there and it worked for her. the baby didn't fight being in the cot at sleep times.

good luck! looking forward to hearing all about it!!

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast