Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Helper Xmas Bonus & Hong bao/Lai see

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I have heard from more than one long term HKer that there is a tradition of the "13th month" here. Apparently many employers pay their employees an extra months salary at Christmas. I know that Cathay used to do this for their employees but not sure if they still do. I would be interested if any users who work for HK organisations have heard of the 13th month concept.

On this basis we were going to pay our helper for a 13th month at Christmas. However, we might scale this back now given that we will both be taking big cuts to our own pay packages given current market conditions!

I wasn't thinking of paying anything extra at CNY.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    p.s. I am not suggesting that everyone should pay an extra month as bonus. Obviously, it is a matter of what you can afford and is about showing your helper than you appreciate her work rather than giving a specific amount of money.

Neha is offline Banned
    100 for building concierge is fine we pay all our guys 100 each

ookiinome is offline Registered User
    as far as i know, there's a 13month salary among hong kong workers. but becos of the current economic downturn, the employer turns it to a bonus instead.

my hubby is chinese, he has a tradition of giving out plenty of lai see during CNY. so we'd pay a hkd500 for lei see to maid & an extra week during our maid's b-day.
    this is the 2nd xmas we've been with our maid, i used to bring her to shop around for clothes or necessarity (around hkd1000)

i guess the amount of extra pay depends on her working attitude. if she've done a good job, why not be more generous to her & makes everyone happy?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    We gave her a 13th month as both DH and I got one so we felt it fair. We gave her half at Christmas and the other half at CNY. We give her a very small gift for Christmas and Birthdays.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Sherwes, I heard Cathay aren't giving the 13th month payment this year because of everything going on but hopefully most of us are well enough off to reward our helpers a little.

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    Our maid's been with us for 6mths now and we were going to buy her a new mobile phone for Christmas...only that she went and bought herself one last Sunday! Now we'll have to think of something else. We might get her some Wellcome vouchers for Christmas and a $500 lai see for CNY.

mel_g20 is offline Registered User

thanks!

Thanks everyone for all of your replies, I have a better idea now.... just need to decide myself now what is best to give. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12