Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Teacher gifts?

VanillaCafe is offline Registered User

Teacher gifts?

What's the protocal at international schools in HK? Is it common to give teachers Christmas gifts as a token of thanks? My daughter just started pre-school this year so I had no prior experience.

Since we are on the subject, what about end-of-school-year or back-to-school gifts?

If gifting is indeed a common practice, could you also share some gift ideas?

(Having lived in different countries before moving to HK, I found that different cultures have vastly different ieas in terms of whether parents/children should give gifts to teachers, when to give, and what's appropriate to give. Fascinating.)

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    Not sure about international schools but I did give my child's teacher a small box of chocolates at playgroup.

VanillaCafe is offline Registered User
    Many thanks, Vegemite_kids.

jayinhongkong is offline Registered User
    I don't think any teacher would turn down a gift from a parent! I know I wouldn't. :)

rani is offline Administrator
    we send chocolates at xmas. at the end of the year, our class mum collects $ from all of us and buys a nicer gift from the class.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    at (non-international!) schools i worked at, parents were given a written notice which stated that no gifts should be given to teachers... nevertheless, some parents did appreciate the teachers' work by giving little christmas, red packets for CNY and/or end-of-year presents (e.g. cosmetic products, a cuddly toy..). i even got gifts for my unborn baby (clothes).
    really really appreciated the thoughtfulness, and i don't think i treated any child better than another because of this! rather, i felt happy and appreciated.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I just prepared gifts for my oldest's teachers, a Starbucks mug / tea and chocolates + a card (I still need my girl to write her name, draw something, etc. to make it a little more personal). In the US I would always do Barnes & Nobles gift cards ($25 for Xmas and $50 at the end of the year). I am not sure about the end of the school year yet.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    I haven't seen anything from my child's pre-school (international) about whether gift giving is allowed for Christmas. I was thinking of book vouchers for the teachers. (One of the teachers I know is constantly on a diet so would not be happy if I gave chocs!!) How much would you spend in HK? HK$50 or $100??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast