Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Driving myself mad!

pinkballerina is offline Registered User

Red face Driving myself mad!

Hi Ladies,

I am hoping you all might be able to provide me with a bit of a sanity check here.

I'm 5 weeks pregnant today and seem to be constantly worrying about every little symptom I'm experiencing. One of the most worrying has been the crampy feeling in my tummy. The cramps are only mild and feel a bit like period pain/ovulation pain. I also have quite a bit of cervical mucus (sorry TMI) and I find myself running to the bathroom every 5 minutes to check that everything is OK. My ob/gyn tells me that these are normal symptoms but I'm still driving myself mad with worry.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Also, I have my first scan next Thursday. I'll be about 6.5 weeks by then. Will they be able to tell me if the baby is in the right place, etc? How often do they do scans throughout a pregnancy in HK?

Thanks for listening!

staceycolyer is offline Registered User
    Hi Pinkballerina.

Everything you are going through sounds perfectly normal to me. From 5 to 8 weeks all I did was stress about every tiny thing. I also had period-like cramping, a bit of spotting, lots of cm, feelings of nausea and then would feel completely normal for days. I had my first scan at 8 weeks. Could see the little one and it's heartbeat and all was fine! I'm not sure what you will be able to see at 6.5 weeks. I have friends who could see the little 'bean' and the heartbeat that early, but have read in other posts that it may be too early to see the heartbeat. So, not sure.

I'm sure all is perfectly fine with you, unfortunately, no amount of people telling you that will help - you'll only feel better once you have the scan and see that everything is ok. Hope the time goes quickly!

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    Dear Pink Ballerina. I am also pregnant and now 5 weeks and 4 days. I had my first scan last Friday and only saw a dot, but no heart beat. I am not worried as Ob said it is often too early to detect a heart beat at this stage. However, I do totally understand that the first 12 weeks you are nervous about what might happen. You have to remember though that your body is going through many changes to develop this baby. I have exact same symptoms as you are describing.
    Sometimes it is reassuring to meet and discuss your throughts with people who are going through the same thing. I am not sure if you have been on the due dates forum (for July 09) but some of us who are all due in July next year are meeting for the first time this Thursday if you are interested. We would love to meet you too. If you are interested, please feel free to PM me. Best wishes in your journey!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Congratulations !
    What you are feeling is normal, the baby is making his place in your uterus, and it can feel like cramps or needles...
    You should be able to see a little bean and a heartbeat at the first scan.
    Depending on the obstetrician and your medical history, you can have a scan at each appointment. In Europe it's only 3 for the all pregnancy, here I had much more.
    Don't stress too much, just have a normal life and good food, and everything will be all right ! :D

pinkballerina is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much for the reassuring words ladies. It has made me feel heaps better

AussieMum, thanks so much for telling me about the due date group. I've just posted a message on there and am going to try and come on Thursday.

I hope you all have a great day!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I was freaking out when I first got pregnant too. And yes, cramping appears to be normal, though it feels everything but, doesn`t it?! I had a very early scan before (at about 5 weeks), and what they were able to see was that there was in fact a sac (so no ectopic preg.) but not much else - but that was very reassuring in itself. At 7 weeks they detected a heartbeat. I continued to be crampy off and on for several months, so in other words, continuously worried. I`ve heard that your body goes through little growth spurts so esentially they are growing pains(but you will feel them later on).
    I`m 32 weeks now and still worrying - and I expect to worry for the rest of my baby`s life too!
    good luck~

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    The crampy feeling was the only pregnancy symptom I had with all 3 pregnancies for at least 2 months!