Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

failure to thrive, not gaining weight...

th_ho is offline Registered User

failure to thrive, not gaining weight...

I'm very worry about my daughter who's almost 14 months. She's now 17.7lbs. For her 1 year check-up, she only gained ~ 1.5lb (since her 6 mths check-up). She was in her 50% percentile from 1-6 mths. And now, she's in 5-10%. At the 1 year check-up, doctor recommended give her more meat, i did that. 13 months check-up, she gained < 100g. Doctor recommended put some butter in her food and we'll go to see a nutrient consultant in 1 wk. If she's not gainning weight this month, we'll need to go to hospital for a through check-up. Any mom has experienced this situation? I'm extremely worry, please help!
    She was eating ok. She's not a eat pickers. She's still taking soft puree, I tried giving her food a bit harder, but she choked very easily. Recently, not knowing why, she vomit very easily.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I haven't experienced your situation but you certainly sound like you are doing all of the sensible things in this case - seeing a doctor, nutritionist etc. If the medical professionals decide that there is no medical reason why your baby isn't gaining weight maybe it is just a question of diet.

Many babies gag as you introduce harder food. This is pretty normal and a little bit of gagging is no cause for alarm in my experience and according to the medical professionals I have consulted. Therefore I wouldn't let this put you off trying your baby on harder foods very gradually. Maybe if you are concerned you could arrange to have someone with more baby experience around when you try - such as your mum or a relative who has raised children.

Neha is offline Banned
    2 year old son weighs 23 lbs. all the drs we have been to say no need to worry as he is active and healthy. but we spoke to our homeopath and she suggested a syrup which help him eat. 3 months and if he doesnt eat then we will see.. Our problem is he doesnt seem interested in eating.

We did try buttering everything also. it works a few times nd then no

i can imagine how frustrating it can be

Best of luck

noc
    noc is offline Registered User
    what does your baby normally eat now?

cha-cha is offline Registered User
    hmm, my baby was diagnosed as a "failure to thrive" case and he basically stopped growing for 3 months. despite visits to GPs, paeditricians, homeopaths and a series of blood tests etc, they could not find anything physiologically wrong and nobody seemed too concerned about the frequent bouts of projectile vomiting (which i was extremely worried about).

we were already giving lots of protein (meat, an egg yolk every day), fattening foods (avocados etc) and lots of carbs. a total of 4 solid meals a day + 3 bottles of milk and he still was not thriving.

a well-meaning, concerned stranger took one look at my son and told us what she thought was wrong. we acted on her words (we were so desperate), that was 2 weeks ago and my son has not vomited since and is feeling heavier in my arms. i won't post what the stranger told us here, for fear of being branded a complete nut. but somehow it worked for us. if you want a chat, send me a PM. we are chinese by the way.

Christinea is offline Registered User
    Hello,

I understand your concern. Dropping so many % should have you worried along with your doctor. My daughter also was labeled FTT. She was adopted from China as a toddler so we did not know her eating behavior from infancy, which made it really hard at times. She had little interest in eating and did vomit at times. She finally was diagnosed with reflux. With time and the proper dose of medicine this subsided and she eventually outgrew it at age 3 1/2. Her eating also improved once her throat healed and she learned that eating wouldn't hurt her.

She also had a parasite - pretty unpleasant, but it also explained why she couldn't gain weight. Sounds like your son needs a full evaluation to make sure his growth picks up.

Dealing with this in your child is so stressful. I hope you get the help you need soon.

Christine

Neha is offline Banned
    cha-cha i have pmd u

jools is offline Registered User
    There are many reasons why a child may be 'failing to thrive'. From a mother of a 'failure to thrive' child, please keep going with the doctors, you need to get to the bottom of this. It may turn out to be nothing and just a phase, but from experience being fully informed is much the best way.
    I wish you all the luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast