Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What kind of snacks do u give to baby?

fennho is offline Registered User

What kind of snacks do u give to baby?

Hello there

My baby gal is now coming to 11mths. Currently, i'm giving her 3 solids meals a day, in between, i nurse her about 4 times a day. My routine goes like this

7-8am wake up. Nurse
    9ish Breakfast (usually fruit + cereal)
    11am Nurse and Nap
    12-1pm Wake up - Lunch (chicken/pork/fish porridge + fruit)
    3-4pm Nurse and Nap
    6-7pm Dinner (same as lunch)
    8ish - Nurse and Sleep

I'm wondering if i shud give a snack in between and have no idea what kind of snacks i shud be providing. She has been fully breastfed since birth, so i have no idea how much milk she's drinking cos i nurse direct. As in most breastfed babies, she has always been in the 95-97 percentile from birth to 6mths. But now, her weight has sort of stayed stagnant at around 9.68kg (+/-). Do i need to be worried?

Would also like to check if i wean her off breast milk after she turns 1yr old, can i feed her cow's milk direct or do i still need to give her FM for whatever nutrients? Not that i'm going to, but would like to prepare. Becos recently i had a very bad case of food poisoning and was given meds that actually reduce my supply. I'm trying hard now to increase them, but the incident made me think of alternatives.

carang is offline Registered User
    keep in mind that children of 12 months should be able to eat everything that an adult eats, just in smaller pieces. it can be a problem to introduce different textures if you leave it too late.

yes, you can wean directly to cow's milk. that is the norm in north america at least. it also means that you don't then have to wean her off of formula at a later date.

for snacks at that age:

small pieces of whole wheat bread
    vegetables (i used to get frozen mixed veg and add a little water and microwave for about a minute or less, just until they were warm, not hot and then drain the water and put the pieces in front of my kids to let them feed themselves. my daughter still enjoys them)
    crackers
    fresh fruit
    rice cakes
    dry cereal (my kids like cherrios~ you can get hte whole grain variety if you are worried about sweet things)
    raisins(just watch for choking)
    bread sticks
    cheese sticks
    cheese (the real kind, not the kraft slice variety)

the list is endless, really.

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    "As in most breastfed babies, she has always been in the 95-97 percentile from birth to 6mths. But now, her weight has sort of stayed stagnant at around 9.68kg (+/-). Do i need to be worried?"

It is perfectly normal for baby at this stage to stay stagnant or grow very little. If they are growing like the first few months, by one year old, they will be EXTREMELY BIG!

I would prefer to go cow's milk after turning one. I did that to mine and have no problem at all.

as for snacks, I gave cheese, yogurt, toast bread, baby biscuits/crackers, fruits, raw cerely, carrot and fruit juice. As for how much and how often it all depends on how hungry she is. I usually gave snacks in between lunch and dinner. As for quantity, just a cube of party cheese, 4-5 baby spoons of yogurt, a piece cracker or biscuits, less than half of toast... just depend on how hungry she is. I am introducing it at about 9 months and by one year, he is eating almost adult food and by 1.5 year, save me on cooking seperately - horray!

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    hey ladies,

which cheese do i get for my baby? he's 10mths old. i was told to get it over the cheese deli and not those kraft slices. any recommendations? or do i tell the person i wanna buy cheese for baby's consumption?

carang is offline Registered User
    there's no need to buy a "special" baby cheese, it's VERY expensive and it's nto like they eat the entire block in one go.

you can try: cheddar (low salt variety), gouda, edam, swiss etc.

MLBW Guest
    My son is exactly a year old and he really enjoys these snacks:

-grapes (I cut them in half so the piece is more manageable for him)
    raisins
    -small pieces of cheese (not the "fake" cheese but real cheddar or mozzarella. I buy the "block" of cheese and then cut little pieces up for him.)
    -frozen blueberries (he likes cold things--so I sometimes freeze the grapes too and let him suck on them. I wash the blueberries and then freeze them myself)
    -Healthy Times Molasses teething biscuits
    -Cheerios

My son drinks goat's milk and has since he was about 9-10 months old with no problems. He was breastfed for 5 months.

About the weight...if your child is in the 95-97 for weight--that is pretty much as good as it gets. I wouldn't put too much worry into what percentile he is in unless he drops below 50%. A lot of those measurements have to do with body type. For example, at my son's last checkup he was in the 90% for height but only in the 75% for weight. That means he is tall and slender (he is as tall or taller than most 18-24 month olds in the States and much taller than most Asian babies that are much older than him--he is half caucasian, half Chinese)--which is a trait that runs in my family as well as my husband's family. As a toddler who started walking at 8 1/2 months he burns a lot of calories even though he eats a lot (at least one cup of food 3 times a day, lots of snacks and about 24 ounces of goat's milk a day). The doctor didn't even bat an eye when he saw that he was 75% for weight--he is obviously healthy and happy.

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    my son is also 11 months old and we give two snacks in between main meals. Snacks that we give are:

avocadoes
    banana
    steamed sweet potatoes
    cheerios
    rice cakes
    grapes cut in half without the skin
    toast
    teething biscuits

hope this helps!

sherwes is offline Registered User
    My 12 month old loves the following as snacks:

- grapes
    - avocado on toast
    - cheese (the bad Kraft variety of fake slices and cheese sticks! I know should give him proper cheese but he otherwise eats very well and I have to admit and I also love the fake Kraft cheese!)
    - banana
    - blueberries
    - rice cakes
    - those baby wafer things from Japan that you can buy at Great.

I have a very weird phobia about giving my baby sultanas or raisins. I am convinced he will choke on them even though he happily eats other chewy food such as chicken, bread etc. I think I need to get over my phobia!!

Carang, thanks for the idea re the mixed forzen vege. Will give it a go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast