Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Queen Mary and Husbands!

carang is offline Registered User
    "do not even accept pastries and cakes as a token gift."

i often ordered pizza and shared it with the nurses. i also baked christmas cookies and took them in as well as shared out some chocolates that i was given.

they all were happily accepted.

dbmum is offline Registered User
    This is all opinion of course and I am by far no expert on dealing with different cultures - I've only been here for 10 months myself in HK. However, the only times I find myself getting frustrated or upset is when I find myself feeling entitled. Who cares how the nurses may or may not be treating other patients- regardless of their race. Worry about yourself. I have a hard time believing that the nurses think twice about how they are treating you or making you feel - their job is not to make feel like a princess - their job is to give you the best medical care and attention. There is no secret that QMH has visiting hours. Do some of the women possibly get around those set rules? Yes. Does that mean that everyone is entitled to break the rules? No. If someone on the MTR manages to get through without paying does this mean that you too should feel that this is your right - so that you're being treated 'equally'?? Breaking the rules is just that, breaking the rules. They are there for a reason and regardless of that reason, you make the choice (most likely) to be in that place and therefore you agreed to follow their rules no matter what you think of them. My advice, go to the hospital to deliver your baby. Visit the Four Seasons for a nice, pampered experience.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    really wow carang! Your lucky! The people at NICU were so insulted that we brought cakes we were asked "never to do it again" literally! We couldn't believe our ears and at that moment couldn't understand what harm cakes would do. Anyhow, perhaps that was the crew at the NICU only.

carang is offline Registered User
    i spent all of my time on the 9th floor... i think i was there for over 2 months, all told, and got to know the staff fairly well... one of the nurses would even come and ask what i was reading and if i could suggest any good english books for her... when i went the next time, she had read one of the books and was very happy that she could talk about them with me.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    dbmum - missing the point! It's about patterns of baheviour - I don;t expect the Four Seasons. But I do expect equal, equiatble, fair treatment, which does not always occur. You're talking about 'entitlement' based on a concept of what happens elsewhere - I'm talking about entitlement based on what you see the women in the next receiving. And it IS about medical care.

Lesliefu - if you;re on;y there a few days, then coping is one thing. If you're there longer (as I have been on multiple occasions) you really start to see how much impact the nurse have. And granted, this is most often due to overwork. But if you're in pain at 3 in the morning, and te nurse won't stop reading her magazine to help you, then that's simply not acceptable - not matter where you're from!

MLBW Guest
    Bedside manner is a part of medical care--not an addition to it.

I found this to be an interesting read:

The Sick House

There are serious problems with the public hospital system in HK and most of it starts with cashflow. The bad news? Doesn't look like any of them will be seriously addressed anytime soon because of the worldwide economic troubles.

Just this week I was also watching the news. A man from Hong Kong was the focus of one of the news stories. He was admitted to hospital, contracted pneumonia and they thus performed a lung operation on him--which was somewhat botched and now he can barely breathe or talk (I think he was in his late 20s). He went to another hospital and was told, "Oh, that infection you had, could have been treated just as easily with medication--the operation was completely unnecessary." The gist of the entire news piece was that the Hospital Authority is it's own investigatory body--so if something goes wrong in the hospital who investigates it? The hospital itself. So, there is a strong voice to set up a medical ombudsman in HK to lobby for patients' rights here as if something goes wrong (especially if the patient doesn't have a lot of financial means to sue) there is literally no recourse and it is very rare that any substantial punishment or justice is served.

dbmum is offline Registered User
    I guess you get what you pay for then.
    I'd take the public system here over anything in the US - there you'll pay thousands of dollars if you're lucky enough to HAVE insurance that you pay for in addition to any hospital/doctor's fees. Maybe if giving birth in a hospital setting really upsets anyone that much they should look into home birthing options...

MLBW Guest
    I did look into home birthing options in HK but it borders on the illegal here. One family (has 7 children) we know of, at the advent of their last child's birth were unable to make it to the hospital in time and therefore had a home birth--the police came and investigated the place like it was the scene of a crime (they thought the family had kidnapped a newborn and was trying to cover for it) because there is no system in place for reporting a home birth--they are "not supposed to happen" in HK. From everything I learned during my time researching home birth, the midwives (Annerly) do not do home births and anyone who attempts to do them is either in breech of the law or nearing that (something attune to practicing medicine without a license). In my case, I would never be able to have a home birth because of the possibility of excessive bleeding (I know that now in hindsight). I went back to the USA, we did not have insurance, we did pay "out of pocket" (on a loan scheme) and it was 100% worth it. We didn't have doctors fees as we went through a midwife program that is a tiny fraction of what hiring a doctor to pop in and catch the kid as it comes out (oh, and thus, my husband got the privilege of catching our son too!).
    The whole point, I guess, is it can be better and should be better if there was different training and a different system--I think that is also the point of the articles we're seeing about the hospital system here as well--the system is broken (a man dying of heart attack outside the doors of a hospital is left to well, just die because he didn't call 999 first--that is perfect proof of a broken system).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast