Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Queen Mary and Husbands!

Dink is offline Registered User

Queen Mary and Husbands!

Hi - has anyone given birth at the Queen Mary with their husband in the delivery room and NOT attended the Queen Mary/Tsan Yuk antenatal classes? In their rules for the delivery the hospital states that husbands will not be permitted in the delivery room if they have not attended their antenantal classes. My husband and I have been to Annerley classes and don't really want to do the Tsan Yuk ones too. I've asked Annerley for a note confirming our attendance at their classes. Will this be enough, do you think they'll let him in??!

carang is offline Registered User
    just get a note from annerly that you have both attended their classes. it shouldn't be a problem.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Hi Dink,

I gave birth at QMH last March and did not attend a single antenatal class at QMH/Tsan Yuk. I also went the Annerly route. They never even asked and there was no problem having my husband in with me during delivery. I think it is just "suggested" that husbands attend a class with you. If i remember correctly, there are just restraints on using the birthing ball - that you have to have attended their classes.

You will be fine!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think that once you get to the hospital, they don't really look at what classes you did. I gave birth just over a month ago. I wanted to use the birthing ball, but when the class was on in English, I was already 31 weeks and the cut off was 30 weeks for safety reasons... anyway, I got to the hospital because my waters had broken but my labour hadn't started and the nurses told me I should use the birthing ball to try and help bring on contractions. I told them that I hadn't taken the classes, and they taught me how to use it then!! So even with the birthing ball, they're not actually as strict as they say they will be...

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    My husband attended the birth, and even got into the labour ward out of hours because I kicked up a fuss. They never asked us about the antenatal classes or looked at papers etc, he just told them he wanted to be there, they gave him the gown etc to wear, and he came on in.

dbmum is offline Registered User
    When we moved here I was 30 weeks pregnant and didn't even know about the class options offered until it was too late. My husband was with me and there were no problems/questions of any kind. I really had NO idea what to expect at QMH but left there with nothing but great things to say about my entire experience...hubby included!

SarahinHK is offline Registered User
    Speaking of husbands...my understanding at the Queen Mary is that in the birthing room your husband can be present but in the general/maternity ward he can only be present during visiting hours - is this accurate? That assumes then that once you have given birth and been cleaned up - that unless it is visiting hours - your husband has to leave?

My husband and I have just learnt in the last 2 weeks that I am pregnant and without any health insurance in Hong Kong, we are having to go the public route. Being from Australia, the hospitals there are very pro parents being involved in the post delivery time...dad giving the first bath etc etc and so the idea of my husband having to leave once I am in the general ward again is not sitting well. My husband is trying to encourage me to go back to Oz to give birth so that he can stay with me post delivery!

HKaussie - your husband was allowed into the labour ward outside of visiting hours?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Yep, husbands can only be in the general ward during visiting hours. They allow the husband to come and help you get "settled in" for a few minutes but then ask him to leave.

The craziest thing, I gave birth in October and when I was about to check out, there was a woman who had given birth and had just been admitted to the maternity ward only about 10 or 15 min before the start of visiting hours. Her husband was there with her and they were talking - and he went to ask the nurse something only maybe FIVE minutes before visiting hours started, and they told him to leave!! I thought that was pretty crazy, because he just went outside and was back in a couple of minutes later!!

I missed not having my husband in the ward more - but not enough to want to go to Australia to give birth!! We did consider that (we're Australian too) but thought there were more negatives than positives for going that route...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast