Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

8 month old not eating rice

mushi is offline Registered User

8 month old not eating rice

hi, my 8-month old just does not want to eat regular rice inspite of boiling and mashing it, he looks as if he is gagging and about to throw up...i have made several attempts with a week's gap but no luck...he only likes his brown rice cereal and has it with mashed veggies puree....he has not got any teeth yet....could that be the reason? his diet consists of fruits -apples, pears, prunes, plums, bananas and pumpkin, carrots, peas mashed....i am tired of giving him the same food everyday but everytime i try to give something new he rejects it downright....pls. advise.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    My boy is 1 year old and does not like rice too much neither, and he seems to be constipated each time he has some... Your little one seems to eat already a lot of different food, you can try broccoli, zucchini, fennel, pepperoni, celery, baby pastas (I buy them at B2B), potatoes, mixed with ham, tuna... but he is still very young, don't worry, his tastes will change, and the consistency of his food too when he will have teeth.

thanks frenchy....will wait and watch

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Mushi, Have you tried grinding the rice up before you cook it? I don't know if that will help but I find the consistency and taste is closer to mashed rice than the boxed cereals. This might be an in between method you could try. If you haven't tried this, all you have to do is grind 1/4 cup brown rice in your blender until it is fine and then sprinkle it over 1 cup boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. Then mix with milk or water to thin it to the consistency you want.

Neha is offline Banned
    8 months dont push too much wait till he gets some teeth and also give him more time to get used to eating. Dont try too much that might work in opposite direction he might get put off and not try anything new later.

Be patient

JJYY is offline Registered User
    My boy is now 18months, still not eat rice / congee. He used to eat congee a lot when he was 8-12 months. Just in sudden, he changed his eating habit. So.. no need to worry, kids change appetite from time to time.

thanks ladies, cyberfish yes i did try grinding rice though after it was cooked but same response....i guess i will ahve to wait....meanwhile i am going back home for a hoiliday so hoping my mom-in law can help out with his diet !