Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

feeding 13mth old baby

lesliefu is offline Registered User

feeding 13mth old baby

Hi -

My baby is 13 weeks and weighs 13 lbs. I think she's in the 75th percentile, but I'm not sure. She's gaining weight so I guess that is OK. I was wondering how much kids should be eating at this age? She has 4.5oz 6 times a day (27oz). I am going to up it to 5oz now since I want her to sleep through the evening (which she did last week - which perhaps is by default). Am I hoping for too much at this stage? When do babies normally cut off the 4am feeding? What about feeding them water? I've heard different theories so I haven't introduced it yet, but should I? What are you guys doing?

Thanks
    Leslie

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    It will depend on whether you are feeding ebm or formula, no increase in ebm (about 25-27oz per day), but will have to increase with formula. There is a general guideline way of working out how much formula is needed, am sure it's in the site somewhere.

As for sleeping thru, both mine slept thru (10pm-7am) and not needed the 4am feed from about 10 weeks, and slept 7pm-7am from 4 months. Have to bear in mind that both mine followed Gina Ford, will depend on your baby and how you plan to deal with your baby's sleeping habits to determine when your baby will sleep thru.

I've read Gina Ford, but since my hubby doesn't come home till 7:30, he'd never get to see his daughter. That's my dilemma! How much did your baby drink at the last feeding? I'm only using formula now. Perhaps it's only trial and error? She sleeps quite a bit during the day...12-5, milk, 5:30-10:30, milk at 11, now 1:10 sleep again...for about an hour or so I'm guessing. Is this normal? According to Gina Ford 5 hours of nap time is recommended, she goes over by 1 hour sometimes -I'm really confused since up to now I've pretty much let her body regulate on its own...I'm not sure if it's the best thing for us parents....

She's drinking formula only now. About 25-30oz per day...which in books say is the average for a 3-4mth old.

I've read Gina Ford and the only thing I can't manage to follow is the sleeping at 7pm since my husband doesn't get home till 7pm. How much milk does your baby drink at the last feeding? Mine is drinking 6oz...perhaps i should increase that amount? I have read that sleeping earlier will not necessarily mean waking up earlier for feeding? Do you have any experience with that? She sleeps the "required" number of hours, but it's all shifted backward, I guess I have to slowly shift it forward bit by bit, right?

what I did was once our babies slept thru (7-7) for a few weeks, I gradually moved their sleep times by 15 mins every week until they were sleeping from 8-8. It was a bit of a dilemma for us too whether to follow Gina Ford after they cut their middle of the night feed and hubby not home before 7pm, but we decided that it was worth it for us to get our children to have good sleeping habits early. With what we did, Daddy only sacrificed about 2.5 months of not putting them to bed on weekdays. He made up for it at weekends and once the sleeptimes were moved, he gets to put them bed weekdays too.

For us, it works and since our children were on Gina Ford schedule right at the beginning, there was never really any screaming or crying when going to bed. I only needed to do Dr. Ferber CIO for 4 nights when my elder got irritable during teething and fell out of her routine.

Now, my nearly 3 year old sleeps from 9pm to 8am and my 15 month from 8pm to 8am.

Forgot to say, our babies never took more than 6oz before bed. We took the GF's recommendation on that and only increased the milk during the day when needed.

makes sense....i will work on moving her sleeping time down to a more suitable sleeping time for kids....seems like it is going to take some time though...she's sleeping 12-7 now, once she is capable of drinking more and filling up more she should be able to sleep for longer, right? I'll move the last bottle time down by 15 mins / week to get to the goal of 9-9 sleep.

luckily for us our daughter doesn't really cry and has never screamed in the past 3 months yet and will sleep if she is tired. nap times seem to be important to be timed probably, right? GF gives good advice will follow that more strictly no matter how difficult seems like the outcome is worth the initial pain. Thanks for your help! :)

weishy is offline Banned
    Hi my girl dropped her night feeds when she was 3 months old and her daily sleepign pattern is from lastest 8pm till 7am.usually wouldnt wake her up if we're late(sleep is ore important for her now)

and i do follow the Gina ford advice and find that is useful for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast