Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Would you hire this helper if you were me...

kashismum is offline Registered User
    I've hired three wonderful helpers in my 14 years in HK.
    My current helper advertised herself on a website and I selected her initiailly based on 2 main criteria:

- Christian
    - completed at least 2 contracts with the same employer

The first criterion should function as a filter to weed out the dishonest, lazy ones. Not guaranteed, I admit!
    The second carries more weight. The longer a helper has served with a previous employer, the more it convinces me. Our current helper had done 6 years with one family and another 6 years with another family. She's an absolute gem.

Hope it helps.

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I want to be able to talk to the ex-employer, if terminated, i don't want it, i will terminate my helper soon and i have all the reasons to do that, but i'm sure this helper will backfire me later once she finds another employer.

NOBODY will terminate a helper and pays one month's salary if helper is OKAY.

Do not believe in her sweet words, check her background. I talked to one terminated helper, all is well, she's kind, sweet talker, etc.......then i ask for her employers number and told me she doesn't know! I'm not stupid to believe her, she takes care of a kid so definetely the employer will give their contact in case of emergency.

Get a finished contract helper, BUT you should still talk with ex-employer for reference.

Good luck! I've found mine from geoxpat, the employer was the one who contacted me.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and giving me your advice. I have decided not to hire this helper and didn't even interview her. I'll definitely keep in mind all the good points while looking for the helper who can get along with us and be a real help for us.

sprawld is offline Banned
    Just curious, in that respect, does anyone have a good helper to recommend? One that is good with babies?

smu_hk is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Good Helper, in my experience

Hi Everyone,

I am back on this forum, simply to help my ex helper; I have returned to Sydney, Austraila 6 months ago, but I still keep in touch with my helper.

I inherited her from my cousin who was in HK before me, when they left, I promise to take her on.

I have found she is very honest and hardworking in the 3.5 years that I have had her, she is GREAT with kids - that sometimes I am jealous as any mother would be. She did help me with my 2nd newborn, but I looked after my own newborn till she was 5 months, so she has experience with both my girls from 5 months onwards.

She is very timid and shy at first, but when you encourage and talk to her, you will find that she is quite good to work with. She is obedient in my experience; she just may need assistance with cooking at times; which I gave her a lot of training on already, so she has been cooking all my meals while I had been in HK over the last 2 yrs - her cooking is almost as good as my mothers :) (bc my mother taught her while she was in HK).
    She is good at following instructions, provided she understood your instructions because she fears asking you questions when she doesn't understand. What I did with her was gave her a spreadsheet of tasks to do during the week and what to do when she has time. This made it easier for both myself and her, that way she just refers to the schedule that I have given her; she was good in keeping them too! I didn't expect her to...but she did; that's why I think she is wonderful! But any normal person would be considerate and not be too unreasonable. Just put yourself in their shoes and see if it's something that's achievable.....

Anyway, she is youngish, about 27-28. She is not married.
    No boyfriend I don't think; her mother was a helper in HK before her. She is not a party animal as such, very simple kind of girl; that's probably what sets her apart.

I am here on this forum to help her find her next employer because she has started with a new employer just after I left, who are local HK Chinese, they seem to have placed unreasonable demands on her with their 5-6 month olds. From what she told me, they have expected her to make their 6 month olds sleep; if she couldn't get the baby to sleep, they would be really angry with her and blame her for not settling him back to sleep. In my experience, I was not able to settle my own baby to sleep, but she was really good, because she sings them lullaby and they just fall asleep almost in a few minutes. They have also locked her out of the house and treated her badly simply because they were unhappy with her; seems to me that these young couple are behaving childishly towards her.

So I am doing my best by helping her find another employer. She is a Christian...but she would do best with a Expat employer who will treat her like a person.

If you are interested, please private message me and I shall get back to you with her details. HK2008, I hope you can take her on?

for your time.

I will try to log in as often as I can; as you know, we don't have helpers here to help us look after the kids and do the chores and work at the same time! :D
    It's back to the harsh reality for me here.
    I wish I was back in HK and hope to go back one day and that she can come back and work for me again, of course.

Cheers!
    By the way, she is scared of dogs! :(

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Thank you smu_hk for your reference. I'm surely interested and had sent you a PM with my contact details. We don't have any pets as I'm scared of them myself:) I hope she knows the procedure if she is to transfer to me. Otherwise I can check it out with relevant govement organisations.

smu_hk is offline Registered User
    Hi HK2008,
    I also PM you, and I forgot to say, Rani had posted a link on the Consulate Info, which is here:

http://www.philcongen-hk.com/labor/main.htm

I think you don't have to send her back; because it's not her first contract. She just needs to re-enter HK by going to Shenzhen or Macau I think. She didn't leave after I left her there with the next employer that I know.

If she doesn't know, I am sure she will find out quick enough.

shaz is offline Banned
    U must take your time in this process, long and tedious yes, but hopefully u would have been able to go through the motions and come out in the end with 'the one'. I have done the 'ahh she looks so nice and friendly' way (being desparate) before and was very very disapointed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast