Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Would you hire this helper if you were me...

HK2008 is offline Registered User

Red face Would you hire this helper if you were me...

Dear all,
    I'm new to HK with two kids. The other day I took the kids to a playground and met a philipina maid. She is great with kids(from my own observation), and from what she said I can tell she's also pretty hardworking. She didn't complain much about her employer but seeing me as a pretty nice person and my two kids being much easier to look after, she asked me whether I could hire her. She would love to work for me. I also like her a lot. Do you think it's ethical to do so? She'd have to break her current contract, of course. If I do hire her, what is the procedure to get her to work for me? Does she need to go back to her country first? Do I need to go through an agency?
    Your thoughts and advice are very much appreciated.

zoey is offline Registered User

Just in my opinion, I wouldn't hire her, as I feel sorry for her current employer.

However, if you decide to hire her, the procedure is not too complicated, you don't need to go through an agency. Since that helper is so smart, she must know all the procedure, just ask her to go and collect all the documents and let you sign. But she must go back to Philippines first before beginning to work for you.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

hi hk2008
    i think zoey has a good point, but then again, in the workforce, people leave their jobs all the time if they are offered a better one. i would however, ask to see this lady's former references, and call them, as any potential employer would.
    good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Dear Zoey and dimsum mum,
    Thank you both for your prompt reply. And thank you most of all for not being judgmental of me. Being new here and trying to find someone good have really prompted me to take a short cut. This lady did tell me that she didn't feel being appreciated and was often criticised even she's working very hard. She said she sometimes cried as her employer quite often hurt her feelings and being very harsh on her. I saw tears coming down her eyes when she thanked God for meeting me there on that day, as it was her first time being in that park. I honestly don't believe she was acting to get my sympathy. So I've decided to interview her very soon to find out more about her.
    I have my fingers crossed that I would find a good helper as soon as possible. I have so much adjustment to do myself as I had to quit my job of seven years to accompany my husband to this new place. With the economy downturn, I don't think it's easy for me to get a job here. Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but just trying to talk to someone who can understand.

spockey is offline Registered User

Always ask for references. DO NOT take her word on the matter.
    She knows that you are new and probably presumed that you are new to the games helpers play. Quite a common occurrence.
    If her current job is her first and she can't work through her first contract, I'd not bother considering her at all. I honestly wouldn't take her word on the matter. We've had nasty experiences and have learned to NEVER take anything that comes out of a seemingly wonderful helper for granted.

Last edited by spockey; 12-04-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Hi spockey,
    Thanks for the advice. I really don't know the best way to get a really good helper quickly without going through much trial and error. Plus I cannot tell easily whether someone is good or not.
    A lady who works for my previous serviced apartment highly recommended her sister-in-law who's still in Philipines and without much experience, but who's excellent with kids and very clean and hard-working. I'm not sure whether I should consider to employ her. Again I haven't even seen her or talked to her yet. Can someone please share with me where and how you got your GOOD helper?

mushi is offline Registered User

HI hk 2008, If i were in yr place i would also feel very happy to be so lucky to find a new helper just like that so soon.....but i have had bad experiences with very innocent-looking, smiley helpers before....who we instantly want to trust but honestly they r not worthy of our trust at all....i am not saying the lady u met should not be hired....but pls. be careful, check her current and previous employer's refernces...do a very detailed interview with her and look for loopholes in her story if any...ask her how has she tried to resolve her probs with her employer....ask her if u can spk to her employer posing as her sister or something just to work things out for them.....BUT at teh same time pls. visit geoexpat or asiaexpat.com and start looking for a helper....it is not too tedious of u focus on the kind of helper u want and call them in order, fixing interviews within the next 2 weeks.....remember they all will be ready to sign the contract so when u think u ahve found the right one, just grab hera nd sign the contract within 3-4 days...the good ones else shall be taken away.

mushi is offline Registered User

also look for finish contarct helpers when u check the websites....they r much easier to hire i.e. the process involved at their agency and the immigration is shorter and involves not much paper-work....hiring from philippines would require atleast 2 months and would require u to hire an agency.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast