Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

stretch marks on breasts

Ai li is offline Registered User

stretch marks on breasts

I've just realised that I got stretch marks on my breasts today after 3 months of my delivery. Is it due to the breasts engorgement? I am doing 100% breasts fed.

In fact, I didnt get any during my pregnancy not even on my belly.

Since the marks are not very obvious (already turned to light brown, but not a lot). Is there any solution? I will be still doing breasts feeding for the next 3 months. :bfeeding

MLBW Guest
    From what I've read, stretch marks are due to stretching of the skin during pregnancy (retaining fluid or weight gain) and then can become more obvious once the skin shrinks back after losing weight. I have deep stretch marks around my breasts--all due to pregnancy and breastfeeding and my son is now a year old--I've heard they fade with time--but in my case, I don't think they will ever just go away. :0( The best thing for minimizing the appearance is to use good-quality oil on them--shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, avacado oil...etc.

Ai li is offline Registered User
    Hi MLBW,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I will apply some cream/oil on them. However, I am still doing breasts feeding, is there any 'safe' cream/oil that is suitable for breasts feeding as my stretch marks are very close to areora?

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ai li View Post
    Hi MLBW,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I will apply some cream/oil on them. However, I am still doing breasts feeding, is there any 'safe' cream/oil that is suitable for breasts feeding as my stretch marks are very close to areora?
    Any of the natural oils I suggested should be okay, I would think--avacado oil etc...I would be careful with coconut oil as some people are very sensitive to coconut and may cause an allergic reaction in the baby. I would apply it right after showering because it will lock the moisture into your skin and let it absorb well before you breastfeed. Any natural oil should not harm your baby--when you start using synthetic stuff--like most lotions that have lots of chemicals in them--that's when you start getting problems. I would start off with a nice mixture of shea butter.

Koan is offline Registered User
    Nothing is going to make them go away. And I'm not even sure that creams and oils will do much now, since they're already there. They'll fade even more over time anyway.

Personally I wouldn't bother putting anything on them, especially since they're so close to your areola. If you want to, I'd recommend doing a patch test on your baby beforehand, just to make sure baby is not allergic. Rub a little on baby's leg and keep an eye on it for about 24 hours. Babies can be allergic to natural things too.

SyL
    SyL is offline Registered User
    My mom had 8 kids and has NO stretch marks and she never applied cocoa butter or other nice oils. It only took me 1 baby to develop obvious stretch marks even after massaging on the cocoa butter (especially designed for such purpose). It bother's me enough that I am embarrassed to show them even to my husband, but he's kind enough to appreciate them because our baby caused them. But they have faded a bit with time.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Koan View Post
    Nothing is going to make them go away. And I'm not even sure that creams and oils will do much now, since they're already there. They'll fade even more over time anyway.

Personally I wouldn't bother putting anything on them, especially since they're so close to your areola. If you want to, I'd recommend doing a patch test on your baby beforehand, just to make sure baby is not allergic. Rub a little on baby's leg and keep an eye on it for about 24 hours. Babies can be allergic to natural things too.
    Well, moisturizing your skin will help it to feel smoother and that in effect "fades" the marks or makes them less noticeable--it doesn't make them go away at all--but it can make you feel better about yourself. Yes, of course test things on your baby's skin before you apply it but most oils like that aren't known to be a problem--we use olive oil on our son's skin and it works great (and then he's all ready to be cooked....just joking!) And of course stretch marks fade over time but it depends on the person by how much they fade...my mom, for example still has crazy noticeable stretch marks and her youngest child is over 20 years old! So....I say, put something on it if it makes you feel better.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I've used Vitamin E oil for scars due to surgery and they have faded over time. I just use the capsules you buy in health food shops and cut them in half or put in a pin prick to squeeze out the oil and massage it in. I've also bought the oil in bottles from a health food store but that was in the UK, have not looked for it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast