Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Helper Stole Lipstick and Smells of Pee

Speculator is offline Registered User

My sister in laws previous helper stole money from everyone including from the 3 year old girl she was looking after!

The child put HK$100 that she received from her grandma into her hello kitty bag but it went missing the next day. When confronted, the helper suggested that the toddler probably took it out and dropped it somewhere.

My sister in law set a trap and deliberately placed 3 x HK$10 notes in various places in her bedroom.

When she returned home, all three HK$10 notes went missing.
    Not only did the helper enter her bedroom without permission, she also stole from her.

When confronted, she told my sister in law that she was free to contact the police knowing she does not have any evidence. She then acted as nothing had happened.

In the end, my sister in law terminated her contract and had to pay for her flight back home.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I don't believe anyone should have to talk to a helper about stealing. You should be able to trust your helper. You are after all trusting her to look after your child.

Personal hygiene or rather lack thereof is a massive pet hate for me. We've put up with a lot in the past from helpers who weren't great just because we were scared the next would be worse but these two things are intolerable in my view. Just imagining someone like that touching my own children makes me dry reech!

I don't believe your helper is working out or will ever work out. Hygiene she could work on of course but still, if she's worked in HK before or has any sense, she would already know how important hygiene is when looking after children and when living in someone else's house. Stealing on the other hand is just a massive no no. I know it's just a lip stick but it's not really the point. Imagine your husband or you going to work and stealing just a little bit of money. I don't see much difference. What happens if she hits financial hard times? She might decide the best way to fix her problem is to steal something of bigger value rather than talk to you.

Last edited by aussiegal; 12-05-2008 at 08:54 AM.

noc
    noc is offline Registered User

Oh thank you for all your replies, so helpful and quick!

Since I think the consensus is that I must confront her, this morning, I started the process by offhandedly asking her where my lipstick was. She said that she would look for it today. I also said before leaving for work that the living room smelled like pee, and she should open the window. Since my husband and I will both at work most of the day, we don’t want to get her upset when she is alone with my child. And she will also have 1 more day to clean the dust of her own accord.

We did consider whether her pee could be a medical issue, but I don’t think so. And it is pee because her pee is very sharp smelling, which smell I have unfortunately become quite familiar with lately. I think it is just lack of hygiene coz I went into her room and sniffed her pants a couple days ago. She has plenty of resources to wash since we freely let her use our laundry powder and machines! The thought of her sitting on our furniture and playing with my child while stained with pee just makes me sick too.

My helper used to take care of my grandmother, and she was quite loving to her, which is why I hired her. She is ok with my baby too. But her “track record” is not good – actually she borrowed quite a lot of money from my grandmother and now from me. She arrived from the Philippines to start working for me, having just borrowed HK$38,000 in the Philippines. I lent her the money to pay off her debt, since I basically could only choose from firing her (while heavily pregnant and about to give birth) or expecting that she would get the money from a loan shark with me unknowingly being her guarantor.

Query is offline Registered User

Us too. When my helper started to smell of sweat during the summer after doing the household chores, I would buy her (which I didn;t before) shower gel and shampoo and told her that she should wash more as it's not good to be sweaty and looking after the baby. She didn't smell since!! Perhaps your helper doesnt have enough change of pants to last her for the week - you could consider getting her some extra pants and tell her that her pants doesn't smell too good and she needs to change them once/twice a day??

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

Ok by the sounds of it you already have your answer...I would get ride of her ASAP.....She sounds dirty and if you cant trust her than why keep her around.

reei is offline Registered User

this might not be anything related, but just fyi.
    my aunt hired this helper, and she actually pee on the soup for her whole family to drink! according to the helper , it was some sort of a black magic, that makes her employer 'nicer' to her..

Query is offline Registered User

oh that is really very gross!!!! how did your aunt find out she did that?

reei is offline Registered User

they thought the soup tastes weird and questioned her. after a while she confessed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12