Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

bottles recommendation

curiousmummy is offline Registered User

bottles recommendation

Hi,
    Still preparing for the birth of my new born next month. Any recommendations on the brand of bottles to use? Very concerned about colic, and thus wanted to use the Dr. Brown bottles, but it seemed that they have stopped supplying to the HK retails till a later date.

Any body has recommendations of other brands of bottles? Or know where I can find dr. brown bottles?

Does Adiri solve the problem of colic?

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    Read through this thread for choosing bottles.

concerns about Bisphenol A (BPA) found in baby bottles

As far as for colic, I think BFree Plus bottles will help to reduce some colic.

ladybug is offline Registered User
    Adiri bottles are a total waste of money. I tried using them and have friends who tried and so far, no bubs I've known have liked them. They are also very expensive and you have to buy a whole new bottle when it is time to change the nipple size.

I use Born Free. Both Born Free and B Free have anti-colic attachments to them and both are BPA free. You don't have to buy a whole new bottle when the baby needs a new nipple. I like Born Free because of the versatility of them. I just bought the training cup mouth piece and handles so now I can use the bottle as a training cup but interchange when I need to do a bottle feed back to the typical nipple. My daughter loves the handles. She is 6 1/2 months and enjoys holding her own bottle which also gives me a bit of freedom.

MLBW Guest
    I am a fan of B Free or Born Free Bottles (they are the same thing basically)--they have always been BPA free and that's one of their selling points. Also you can choose from a range of nipple types--I prefer the natural rubber ones but they also have silicone nipples available and as ladybug mentioned, you can buy single parts of the bottles or change a bottle into a sippy cup by buying the right nipple and handles to attach to a bottle. I would definitely go with the Born Free or B Free bottles. I would stay away from Avent--we used them at first but they use BPA in their bottles and when I e mailed them about my concerns with BPA they didn't answer my questions and were totally unconcerned and uncaring about it. The Born Free and B Free bottles do a much better job at filtering out air bubbles anyway! We love them! You can buy them at most stores like Jusco that have a baby section. And I like that these bottles are wider than the Dr. Brown's and for me that makes them easier to hold--more comfortable that way.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Not all babies are colicky. We used Dr. Brown's with our first one and never used them with our second one. Didn't notice any difference. I used Medela bottles (BPA free) --after the report on BPA-free bottles came out. They were convenient for me as I just pumped directly into these bottles and in some instances, fed directly from the same bottle. We just used Pigeon teats, as they fit perfectly over the Medela bottles.

NewMummy is offline Registered User
    I BF my bub directly from the breast until he was 9 months old when I started working again and had to express milk. I tried many different bottles Born Free, BFree, Dr Brown, Pigeon, Tommee Tippee and Adiri. He refused all except Adiri, I think that babies who are very used to the breast will more likely to like Adiri whereas I can see why babies who are used to other bottles will dislike Adiri.

Ladybug, agree with you that Adiri is expensive but I was lucky that I only needed to get the orange oneas my baby was past the first 2 stages, but I recommend this bottle for those babies who would not take others due to breastfeeding.

I read on somewhere that the difference in this bottle is that it is made to really feel like a breast and is more difficult to suck on than other bottles. Babies who have tried other nipples will find this hard work, whereas babies who are used to breast will find nothing wrong. I think LLL Sarah mentioned that sucking on the breast is like sucking 2 joints of your finger and the bottle is like one joint so the tongue is different.

MOst of the bottles I have tried had some sort of mechanism to stop intake of air and thus colic. It's hard to know which your baby likes until you test them, so good luck curiousmummy.

By the way, I also tried the glass bottles and my helper ended up breaking all of them! Butterfingers!

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMummy View Post

I read on somewhere that the difference in this bottle is that it is made to really feel like a breast and is more difficult to suck on than other bottles. Babies who have tried other nipples will find this hard work, whereas babies who are used to breast will find nothing wrong. I think LLL Sarah mentioned that sucking on the breast is like sucking 2 joints of your finger and the bottle is like one joint so the tongue is different.
    My son also breastfed and had no problem transitioning to a bottle--I don't think it's such a big deal as a lot of people try to make it--the "nipple confusion" thing--most women I have talked to as well as the nurses at the hospital and my son's pediatrician indicated that "nipple confusion" only is a real issue in the first few months of life anyway--probably only in the first few weeks if you're doing breastfeeding. If you transition your baby to a bottle later on a lot of the time they don't have "difficulty" suckling--they just prefer to nurse and sometimes will reject certain nipples (or the bottle altogether) for this reason--babies are good at sucking and can suck on anything pretty much (your finger for example) so a bottle nipple isn't really a cause for worry. As long as your baby doesn't have special problems with nursing due to prematurity or something...any bottle nipple will work--he/she may just prefer a certain type so as NewMummy said, you'll have to try a few first, maybe--but we started with the wider nipples (such as Advent and B Free) and never had to try anything else--I think these nipples are more realistic if you are transitioning from breastfeeding as things like pigeon nipples are very small and give the simulation like the baby is only sucking on your actual nipple--which does not correspond with breastfeeding at all where the baby actually takes more of the breast. Anyway, I still think B Free is a cheaper and better place to start. :0)