Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Private consultation/delivery in Queen Mary

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    Hi Dad1

BTW when I visited QM as a private patient I was attended by Dr Ben Chan

Dad1 is offline Registered User
    jaz1311, thanks.

I saw in the staff list there are several doctors in the team, ie. CP Lee, KY Leung, etc. I have heard all of them are very good. Any comments anyone?

What I am still trying to figure out is the cost for any unexpected admission to the hospital due to complications before the baby is due. While we have budgeted the consultation/test fees, room/delivery charge etc, I am not sure how large the bill will be should my wife is asked to be admitted for any certain period in addition to the perhaps three-day stay before delivery . Will the $2,600 per day charge apply, or will it be possible to switch to the public beds?

Definitely things to check out on my list.
    Leelopea likes this.

MisB is offline Registered User

registering with one Dr. at QM???

I thought I would have lots of answers for you (Dad1) as I had similar questions and I have nothing! Well, not completely "nothing"! I need to look into seeing the same doctor each time I go. I am still going to see my private doctor - I have had a few scares in this pregnancy already and I am not scheduled to have a scan until 20 weeks!! I am just over 10. Was advised at Tsan Yuk that I still had to attend the visits there. Can only be admitted to a Private ROom when you check in and if it is available.
    All and all, treated just fine and questions were only answered when asked. SO ask, ask, ask!!

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    Hi Dad1

I am not sure about those doctors you mentioned.

What I know is that if you want to be admitted and pay public charges you would need to register at Tsak Yuk first. The doctors that you see when you are a private patient are normally not the ones you see when you are a public patient.

The Dr Ben Chan that I used to see when I was a private patient from my understanding he only see private patient in QM.

I know the system here sounds very complicated.

woodstock07 is offline Registered User
    Hi Jaz1311,

As a private patient at QM (what I mean is being able to see the same doc throughout the pregnancy and be admitted to the private ward) - do you by any chance know how much the total costs will be? (from pre-natal care to total hospital bill)

Thanks so much in advance.

papa2b is offline Registered User
    My wife and I just did the hospital tour at QM and were able to ask very specific questions re. this. At the moment, we are seeing a private obgyn but are planning on delivering in QM public - especially after visiting the hospital. We had a booking at Matilda through our doctor but will be cancelling it.

First of all, don't believe all the horror stories you hear about overcrowding, loud-mouthed mainland chinese, or quality of the mid-wife care. We were very pleasantly surprised at the facilities and the environment. Sure it doesn't have some of the creature comforts of the Matilda, but you're not on holiday! The mid-wives we spoke to were very experienced and helpful.

We were also shown the private rooms. First of all, the private rooms have really gaudy decor - i wouldn't be able to stay in that room for more than a few hours without being violently ill! Secondly, if you are a private patient at QMH, the total cost that you pay will be on par with going to Matilda or Adventist. The charge you for everything seperately, each pre-natal doctors visit, each doctors visit whilst admitted, food, medicines, delivery, and of course the room cost. You can get the number of the accounts department of the QMH to get a full list of standard costs. What we calculated was that a 4 day stay with regular delivery was going to cost approx. HK$60-70k.

The best thing for you to do is to go over to QMH at 11am every saturday for the Obstetrics Ward Tour. They will show you the full private and public facilities and you will have the opportunity to ask as many questions as you wish.

Good luck!

mrs momo is offline Registered User
    I have seen both Dr Ben Chan and Dr CP Lee before. Well, Professor Lee much more because of complications during my first pregnancy. They are both very good but I do like Dr Lee much more. PM me if you need more details.

I am in my third pregnancy now and have decided to go all private at Sanitorium but Professor Lee still sees me once a mth because of my previous complications.

jill2012 is offline Registered User
    sorry...just realized this was from a few years back, but very useful, will check out this obstetrics ward tour
    Last edited by jill2012; 05-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12