Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ergo baby carrier VS Baby bjorn active?

musicalmama is offline Registered User

Ergo baby carrier VS Baby bjorn active?

I love to walk for more than two hours and I'd like to find out if any of you has an experience using an Ergo baby carrier or Baby bjorn active? I want a baby carrier that will be comfortable for me and the baby as I do my walks.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

imamom is offline Registered User
    From the reviews:
    "The Baby Bjorn infant carrier has been around for years. It?s design has yet to be surpassed in simplicity and functionality for carrying a newborn child. If you?ve ever worn one you have probably come to both love and/or hate it. For most of parents the original design is so easy to use, you gotta love it. But then, as your child grows and gets heavier you may start to ask yourself, why the heck does it kill your shoulders so darn much? I see so many parents come in with kids around 12-15lbs that just want to get the Bjorn off and get into another carrier. Usually they are looking for the Ergo Baby Carrier or The Beco Baby Carrier. Both excellent products for carrying kids that are past the newborn stage and can spread their legs out. Either carrier can work for a newborn but they just don?t always seem perfect. With The Ergo Baby Carrier you have to use the Infant Insert; with the Beco Butterfly Baby Carrier you have to get the buckle adjustments just right."

imamom is offline Registered User

more opinion

"I was attracted to this carrier by all the rave reviews on Amazon. I like to hike, and live in a city where strollers are an inconvenience, so I thought I'd give this a try. I already have the original model, but this sounded so much better according to other reviewers. After using it for three weeks, my opinion is that this carrier is a slight improvement over the original when it comes to back support, but it's not a real carrier for truly active pursuits, and not worth the extra 90 bucks (or more) to buy it if you already have the original.

Although this carrier is marginally easier on your back than the original, it is not adequate for more than extended brisk walks. If you don't have either carrier, it makes sense to get this one if you're particularly worried about your back or will be carrying a heavier child. If you're simply planning to carry your child around town for a few hours, the cheaper original model is sufficient. I am still waiting for a baby product company to offer a front-carry model for smaller children that incorporates backpack-style padded and contoured shoulder pads and a padded hip/lumbar belt capable of transferring weight from shoulders to hips. "

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i have always been a fan of the baby bjorn active - both my boys have liked facing outwards and seeing all the action.
    however my 5month old is over 10kg and the baby bjorn active is now really uncomfortable for anything more than 20mins or so. we have the ergo and LOVE it.
    i find that i use the baby carrier more than the pram/stroller in HK so its important to have a good one. my vote would definitely be for the ergo if i had to choose just one.

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Yes Ergo is a better choice if you want it to last longer than the baby stage. I used the BB with my large baby till 5 months, when he was just much too heavy, then bought an Ergo and it was very easy to wear him in that till 2.5 years old.

The only thing is that the Ergo is a little harder to put on by yourself. Once you're used to it, it's ok, but still more fiddly than the Baby Bjorn.

Other options are other soft structured carriers like Kozy or Pikkolo which you can get at doubibou.com, but they are a little less mainstream than the Ergo.

Matty is offline Registered User
    It will depend on how heavy your baby is, as to whether you'll get the value from the BB.
    I love it, and my first son was only happy when facing outwards so the Ergo wouldn't have worked for him.
    It was comfortable until about 11kg, which for him was almost 11 mths.

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Yes Matty that is a good point. You can't carry facing out in the Ergo, and some babies just won't put up with that. Mine was fine though. It also depends on how long you actually expect to be carrying your baby. Some people only intend to carry them in a carrier up till 12 months or less, whereas I found it convenient to use a carrier when he was up to 2, or 2.5. At that stage it was great to be able to put him on my back in the Ergo.

If it's only for walking, maybe the BB would be better, since by the time baby is too big for the Bjorn you might not be intending to take him/her when you go walking anyway.

noc
    noc is offline Registered User
    We happily used our Baby Bjorn until our boy reached 16 pounds. As the pain got too bad on my neck and shoulders, we had to stop. We then got an Ergo, which we love – although he cannot face out, the baby is in a much more natural position and he enjoys the Ergo more. When we tried out the Baby Bjorn after having used the Ergo for some time, my child didn’t like the Baby Bjorn at all and it seemed like he was very exposed when facing out. The Baby Bjorn hurt my neck almost instantly!

Though there is limited vision in an Ergo, for my child, the closeness and comfort of the Ergo made up for it.

And I want to carry my child as long as I can, because the air seems so dusty down where the stroller is. It's also so much easier to get around on your own with a carrier. I still don't know how to shop with a shopping cart and a stroller...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast