Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Air travel with baby

mushi is offline Registered User

Air travel with baby

hi, i am due to leave on a holiday next week and want to know what is the best way to carry formula milk....should i prepare it and carry it from home , or shpould i carry formula separately and hot water separately? or should i reply on the airline to give some boiled cooled water? what if i have to wait at the airport for a longer time, will i get boiled water form where? what about the airline restrictions in carrying liquids? pls. help if u have had any experiences.....any other travel tip is also welcome.

thanks

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Hi mushi,

When I flew back to Canada in May with my daughter (she was 7 months old), I packed 3 prepared bottles and extra powder formula. I timed it so I gave her a bottle as we took off - so her ears wouldn't pop.

We flew Cathay and I found the cabin crew to be very helpful - except for one girl (quite young) who didn't have kids of her own. I was able to put the bottles in the cooler and the staff were more than willing to heat the bottles up when needed.

I also had no trouble with security... they saw the baby and just ushered us right through.

One tip... on our return flight my daughter got sick... and threw up on me a few times. I packed enough clothes to change her up to 5 times... but only once for me. Pack a few extra shirts for yourself and ziplock plastic bags to put the dirty clothes in.

MLBW Guest
    I would recommend getting pre-mixed formula--that is sealed (you can buy Enfamil like this--in pre-mixed containers--and probably other formulas as well)--this will save you at lot of trouble at security--security checkpoints in Seoul and Tokyo and definitely in the USA are very thorough and they will make you unpack any baby food or liquids in your cases which can be a pain when you're handling a baby.

I just flew back from the States in mid-November with a 1-year-old, all by myself. It's a lot to handle with all the things you need on the flight for a baby. (Bags, stroller, baby, your own things etc.)

Security will not let you carry water on the plane--even though it's sealed--you might be able to fight them on this if it's something like "Nursery Water" that is specific for baby bottles--otherwise they will make you throw it out and you'll have to ask the cabin crew on the flight to get you warm water--the cabin crew will probably not bring you a full bottle of water to use at your leisure (we asked and they said no--on Delta, United, Northwest and Korean Air) so you'll have to keep pestering them every time you need water.

I packed powdered formula and then asked for hot water and mixed it with cool water to make warm water for the bottle. I have one of those formula portioning containers--where you pre-scoop the amount of formula into the container beforehand and then they are stackable and then it has an attached funnel with a lid for pouring it into the bottle.

With most formulas you're not supposed to mix them up and then wait hours to serve them--even if they are put in a refrigerator (it says this very directly on the labeling).

Also, be cautious about letting the cabin crew "heat them up"--because they probably will stick them in a microwave which not only can destroy the nutrition of the food--but if your bottles are not BPA free--can seriously leach chemicals into the milk. And when heating milk in a microwave it's very easy to get it scalding hot very quick meaning you might have to wait quite a while or ask for an ice cube to cool the milk down again. It's better to use warm water to mix the bottles on the spot. A

nd if you're bringing breastmilk, at security they will have you open up the cooler that you are storing it in and inspect it--they will not open up the individual bottles. It's better to heat breastmilk by sitting the milk in a hot cup of water and waiting for the hot water to heat the milk up--not a good idea to microwave it--the cabin crew will not go through the hassle to heat the milk by convection (with the hot water cup) so they will just pop it in the microwave--you can pretty much be assured of this--we had that experience when we flew from the States to HK with our son when he was 5 weeks old.

I would say: Just buy pre-mixed formula that is sealed.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    we always travel with the bottles pre-filled with water (4 bottles for short haul flights & 8 bottles for long haul flights), we then mix in the formula when we need it. we didn't have any problems going through security, since the water was in the baby bottles, it was clearly for baby and not us so they let us carry it on board.

If you don't have a formula container, you can just use a plastic ziplock bag with the formula scoop. just remember to bring hand sanitizer : )

Neha is offline Banned
    U can take hot water with u in a flask they HK customs dont trouble u. We have taken entire can of formula and they dont trouble. Airlines do warn the water but they boil it it is so hot it takes forever to cook unless u mix it with normal water.

We dont prefer taking prefilled bottles as the water gets cold and our son likes a bit warm milk and also I feel that Nan mixes better with warm water instead of cold water.

Best of luck

southside852 is offline Registered User
    We just flew from HK to California. We prepare bottles with pre-filled water, always buy an extra large bottle of Evian once we past through security. We bring entire container of formula on board just in case there are delays or we have to stay over....

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    MLBW - where can you buy premixed formula in HK?? I've looked and not found any anywhere...

mushi is offline Registered User
    hi ladies, thanks so much for the suggestion, as per the timings my flight (19.30) i should hopefully feed milk to my son before leaving home at 4.00pm, then dinner at 6.00pm....somehwre at the airport and then just after boarding feed him night-time milk....hopefully by the time we reach which is 2.00 am HK time i would not anthing more but i do plan to carry extra milk just in case/....after reding yr replies and going by the equipiment i have i would prefer carrying hot water in bottles and formula in a container.....would u know of any place at the airport that can warm up the water for you? i also normally extra-heat the food so that by the time of the actual meal it is warm.....hope all goes well....first time travelling with a baby this small and that too all by myself........by the way where do u get these pre-mixed formula?.also thanks for the advice on carrying extra clothes and plastic bags....any other smallest detail that comes to yr mind pls. do write to me....tahnks again.