Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How did you start self-feeding with baby?

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Oh and let him practice without food. we gave our son a 'toy' spoon and bowl (just regular spoon and bowl) and let him pretend to eat and to also let him 'feed' us. helped him get the practice in so he wasn't just practicing at meal times.

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    From watching my kids its all down to whether they want to do it or not. Be careful what you wish for. By 1 year old my daughter only wanted to self feed, with no help what so ever, and she was pretty good at it, but she wouldnt eat alot. Now she is 2, we share the feeding, some herself some from me. I still help my 4 year old, even though he is quite capable, he is simply not interested in food.

Also with regards to your aunt, when you have 5 children they are also forced to learn abit faster - imagine trying to feed 5 kids. As for potty training, to be honest there are many advantages in keeping them in nappies for longer. My daughter is out of nappies daytime by 22 mths, (i was going to wait until 2.5) but now we have the hassle of always carrying a potty and being aware of where toliets are. Trained by 1 is very unusual.

Your son sounds quite normal in what he can do so far.

MLBW Guest
    Oh, I'm not talking about self-feeding with a spoon--that would be way too much for him right now--just with hands etc. Anyway, I guess no one has any tips here to offer so I'll just keep with my method. Thanks for your input.

MLBW Guest
    Maybe I was thinking he was a bit more advanced because most of the local kids I meet here are barely standing up on their own at 1 and some are not even started on solid food--maybe it's a cultural thing. I just see them kinda sitting there like little lumps and in comparison my son is way advanced. I am all for potty training him earlier because I don't think you have to pack a toilette wherever you go--in my aunt's case--her children could all sit on a regular toilette--when they were young with a little help--but by the time they were 2--by themselves. His Chinese grandparents started putting my son on an adult toilette in the mornings when they knew he had to go when he was about 3 or 4 months old so when he's at their house he uses the toilette a lot. It's not unfeasible--waiting to potty train your child until they are like 3 is sort of a modern Western invention--and precisely because people don't have 5-10 kids anymore (usually)--and yes, when you have a bigger family and you wash all the diapers BY HAND you don't delay in potty training (back in the "olden days"). Besides people in Mainland China and around the world who do "elimination communication" don't pack a toilette wherever they go--they just find a bush ;0) (probably not recommended in HK unless you want to pay a $5000 HKD fine or spend time in jail). Anyway...my aunt isn't the only one I know who has their child self-feeding by hand the majority of the meal at less than one-year-old. It is a good point that it's all up to whether the child wants to or not--my son is very ambitious--today he was packing a full-sized broom around the house "sweeping" the floor for me--when he eats he really eats--but he misses his mouth about 50% of the time--at least it's fun to watch so the entertainment value helps a lot! :0)
    Last edited by MLBW; 12-09-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Trust me from experience. When potty training in HK, especially with a younger child with less control, carrying a travel potty is a sensible idea.
    Public toilets here are few and far between.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Trust me from experience. When potty training in HK, especially with a younger child with less control, carrying a travel potty is a sensible idea.
    Public toilets here are few and far between.
    So, what do you do, strap it on your back and carry it? How about cleaning it afterward? I say, there is always McDonalds which has a toilette and toilette paper (usually). I'll tell you what, when we get to that point, I will let ya'll know if I'm lugging a baby porta potty around or not. ;0)

Portia is offline Registered User
    No real tips on how to start them self-feeding, but I have a tip for later. My LO has just turned two and I noticed a big difference in his feeding skills once I gave him a metal fork as it was just so difficult to get food onto the plastic ones. I also use two spoons to feed him. I load one up with food for him to pick up or use it to push some food onto his spoon just to speed up meal time a little.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    No real tips on how to start them self-feeding, but I have a tip for later. My LO has just turned two and I noticed a big difference in his feeding skills once I gave him a metal fork as it was just so difficult to get food onto the plastic ones. I also use two spoons to feed him. I load one up with food for him to pick up or use it to push some food onto his spoon just to speed up meal time a little.
    Thanks Portia!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast