Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How did you start self-feeding with baby?

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i didn't potty train my son until he was 2 yrs 4 months old. he took to it really well and we have never needed to take our own potty with us. I think that may be partly as he was trained a little older and therefore has more control. or just lucky on my part. I do carry a spare pull-up nappy just in case of emergency with no toilets nearby but we are yet to need it.

back to self feeding... when my son was 12months old he would eat pasta with his fork and sometimes with his hands....He found using his small baby metal fork MUCH easier than the spoon and mastered it first. He would also eat whole bananas (holding the banana and biting mouthfuls off)....and toast cut into fingers (with avocado or cottage cheese or some other topping). these were all quite dense filling foods. It is not enough on its own - mashed meals are still required - but if you offer things along that kind of line it might help you progress his self feeding ?

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    On the potty issue, we have a small foldable port a potty. It has a special bag and a pad which soaks up the urine, which can be dropped in a bin. We mostly use toilets, but sometimes if we are out with no toilets around it is perfect.

Matty is offline Registered User
    As I said a Travel Potty, foldable, fits in your bag.
    You can't always expect a young child to be able to hold it while you find a Mcdonalds and sometimes stand in a queue.
    It gets much easier by the time they are nearing 3yrs.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    As I said a Travel Potty, foldable, fits in your bag.
    You can't always expect a young child to be able to hold it while you find a Mcdonalds and sometimes stand in a queue.
    It gets much easier by the time they are nearing 3yrs.
    It's funny how this eating thread turned into a potty thread. Anyway...we go out but unlike the people who live in the "heart of the city" we tend to stick closer to home during the week because well...it takes a lot more effort for us to go out --no car--have to wait for the mini-bus (fold up the stroller and get on)--then either transfer buses 2 or 3 times or take the MTR and transfer at least 3 times so probably when we start potty training we'll also stick to the homefront more often. I'm not going to pack a toilette around on my back, I think. I wonder how the teachers and parents who start their kids in some sort of school at 1 1/2-2-years-old (we have one friend that has her child in full-day nursery school at 18 months!) deal with this or even kindergarten at 3. Does the teacher have to change dirty diapers all day long? In that way it would be more like a daycare, I would think. At least when kids start at 5 they are potty trained for sure.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Didn't mean for it to turn into a potty thread, it's just that you keep putting things I've said into a quote box and I feel I should comment.

My many and varied potty training experiences come from working here as a nanny for 6 years before becoming a parent myself, and definatley didn't always involve being in the heart of the city or having a car.
    I simply followed parents wishes.

Not sure about (unacompanied?) day care here below 3, but I know by 3 they need to be potty trained.
    Of course you can potty train as early has you like, I think the point was that there are more things to think about and the more difficulty you will face when you do it earlier.

aussie mum, R was in unacompanied day care at 2 just curious, was he potty trained when he started?
    Last edited by Matty; 12-12-2008 at 09:13 AM.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    hi - no he wasn't potty trained at 2 but some of his class at that time were - but they were slightly older. he wore pull ups and they changed his nappy there if need be.
    We potty trained him at 2yrs 4months and they helped with this for the hours he was in their care.

For pre-school which starts at 2ys 8mths all the children MUST be potty trained before accepting the placement offer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123