Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Babies in hotels

Smiles is offline Registered User

Babies in hotels

Does anyone have any advice about staying in hotels with a 3 month baby....the main thing I'm concerned with is how to get bub asleep if we're all in just one room...she is used to sleeping in a dark room without any noise....

Any tips?

carang is offline Registered User
    this is the BIGGEST mistake ANYONE can make... i don't care what gina ford says!

your baby needs to be able to sleep anywhere and in any condition, otherwise you are in for a LOT of trouble in the future!

both of my kids have learned how to sleep where-ever, when-ever and it has saved us SOOOOOOOOO much trouble.

if you have time, start training the baby NOW before you end up putting the baby in the bathroom or closet to sleep!

BabyG is offline Registered User
    Hi Smiles. My husband, baby boy (just turned 4 months) and I are currently living in a hotel room since we've moved here to HK. We've been here for 3 weeks now while flat hunting.

I had my baby on a good routine back in Malaysia and now, its all gone. My ds used to go to sleep on his own and now needs to be breastfed to sleep and wakes up several times a night. The hotel provided us with a baby cot but I found the mattress to be uncomfortable so we have resorted to co-sleeping.

Where will you be staying and for how long? I can give you some tips as hubby works for hotel and I can tell you what they can or can't provide. Take care and keep an open mind, your bub might be a good adjuster.

carang is offline Registered User
    ps> just my opinion...sorry if it sounded critical of you, it wasn't meant in that spirit at all

Smiles is offline Registered User
    BabyG I have sent you a PM

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I always try to get a family room, or a room with a really big bathroom that will fit a cot. Worst case scenario I have sat outside the hotel room by the door until she was asleep then snuck back in. The family room/suite is the best answer as then you and your hubbie are free to watch TV etc., but cost is a consideration as it's more expensive. Depending on the hotel layout, a good baby monitor that reaches as far as the restaurant is an option we've gone for also.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    my kids are also used to a fairly dark room and while a little bit of noise isn't a problem once they are asleep they get to sleep a whole lot faster if there isn't too much distraction.
    we have very successfully put the travel cot in the bathroom and in the closet when we have stayed in hotel rooms! Baby normally sleeps great and the cot can be moved later on quite easily without disturbing the baby if you don't feel comfortable leaving them in the closet all night (never bothered me ;o)