Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Post-natal depression.

spockey is offline Registered User

Post-natal depression.

Just so that mums (in their first year or so) who aren't sure and are wondering if you are alone, here's a reminder on the realities of post-natal depression (Baby Blues):

"Brave Jessica's brutal honesty over baby blues"

According to BeyondBlues.org:

"Postnatal depression (PND) is the name given to depression that a woman experiences in the months after the birth of her baby. Postnatal depression affects almost 16 per cent of women giving birth in Australia."

I don't know what the stats are in Hong Kong. But it's a terrible time of the year if you are away from your family and friends. Chin up if you are feeling a little down... you are NOT alone :-) ... not on this site anyway.

MLBW Guest
    Reminds me of this book that came out this year. Has anyone read it?

Inconsolable

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    I haven't read the book but I did suffer when both my babies were newborn and crying and I didn't know how to make things better. when nothing worked, feeding, changing, rocking, walking, nothing. I remember having thoughts of drowning my elder son, just so he would be quiet and with my 2nd son, I wanted to throw him across the room. It was awful to feel so unhappy after the birth of my babies...my husband helped a lot. I would basically pass him the baby as soon as the thought entered my mind and go to sleep - which helped soooo much. i would wake up feeling much better. i think for me it was the exhaustion and frustration of not knowing what to do. The first 4-6mths were really hard for me for both kids. I am much much happier now that my younger son is sleeping through the night.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    And consult your doctor if you have thoughts about doing harm to yourself and/or your baby. One of my friends had anxiety attacks after her 2nd (a much easier child than the first but still). She was put on meds (after trying several) and it has made a world of difference. Ask for help!

leeconnie is offline Registered User
    It is vital important to aware of this emotion and talk with your friends, relatives and seek the advise of your doctor.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkMonster View Post
    I haven't read the book but I did suffer when both my babies were newborn and crying and I didn't know how to make things better. when nothing worked, feeding, changing, rocking, walking, nothing. I remember having thoughts of drowning my elder son, just so he would be quiet and with my 2nd son, I wanted to throw him across the room. It was awful to feel so unhappy after the birth of my babies...my husband helped a lot. I would basically pass him the baby as soon as the thought entered my mind and go to sleep - which helped soooo much. i would wake up feeling much better. i think for me it was the exhaustion and frustration of not knowing what to do. The first 4-6mths were really hard for me for both kids. I am much much happier now that my younger son is sleeping through the night.
    That's brave of you to share your experience, Milk Monster. I notice that nearly 400 people have looked at this thread and only 4 have commented and you're the first to really share what you went through. I really applaud you for that. I don't think that most of us want to talk about what we've been through when it comes to post-partum depression. We all want to appear to be loving moms who just jumped on the mom bandwagon and never had any difficulties.

I think it's so great that your husband could be around to relieve you when you went through stressful times. My husband had to be at work sometimes 12+ hours/day and when I finally reached my breaking point I am so thankful he went and found someone to come and help me during the day--at least for a couple of months.

I think that sleep is a HUGE (and downplayed) part of the equation too. Who among us doesn't get delirious and start to lose their mind after chronic sleep deprivation (especially if it's 6-months, day-in and day-out)? Add into that if you have a baby with health problems or a collicky baby or if you yourself have health problems or severe breastfeeding problems and then on top of it all the wonderful nosedive your hormones do after giving birth. It's a really horrible concoction and those women who escape it are really fortunate.

My experience post-partum with my son--when I look back on it terrifies me and makes me never want to have another baby. I am so impressed that you went through that twice, Milk Monster and you lived to tell us about it. Thanks again for sharing.