Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A Breakthrough-Why Didn't I Do This Sooner?!

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi MLBW, great result! I am definately a big fan of having a dark room. I have black out lining on the curtains in my baby's room and also have velcro down the sides so no light creeps in and it has worked well for me. I also have a "special" blanket with a teddy attached and a "special" sheep skin "Flat Bear" toy in the cot. These items are never given to my little one unless he is in the cot. Now, when he goes into his cot he immediately cuddles up to his special things. Generally, when I check on his in the night, he has the blanket grasped in one hand and the Flat Bear on his head!!

What does Tracey Hogg say about day time sleep schedule? My 13 month old has started waking up an hour earlier in the mornings (yawn). I suspect this is because that he is snoozing too much during the day. Does Tracey Hogg recommend a max number of hours of day time sleep for this age group? I know Gina Ford says a max of 2.5 hours of day time sleep should be allowed but I am not a Gina Ford fan so don't follow her unless another commentator agrees!

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwes View Post
    Hi MLBW, great result! I am definately a big fan of having a dark room. I have black out lining on the curtains in my baby's room and also have velcro down the sides so no light creeps in and it has worked well for me. I also have a "special" blanket with a teddy attached and a "special" sheep skin "Flat Bear" toy in the cot. These items are never given to my little one unless he is in the cot. Now, when he goes into his cot he immediately cuddles up to his special things. Generally, when I check on his in the night, he has the blanket grasped in one hand and the Flat Bear on his head!!

What does Tracey Hogg say about day time sleep schedule? My 13 month old has started waking up an hour earlier in the mornings (yawn). I suspect this is because that he is snoozing too much during the day. Does Tracey Hogg recommend a max number of hours of day time sleep for this age group? I know Gina Ford says a max of 2.5 hours of day time sleep should be allowed but I am not a Gina Ford fan so don't follow her unless another commentator agrees!
    What I remember without going through the book right now is that she said the earlier you put the child down at night the longer they sleep-which seems like an oxymoron but I think this is true--since my son started going to sleep no later than 7 pm (at one point he was going to sleep at 5:30 or 6 pm!) he sleeps 12 hours at a shot without waking up but if for some reason he doesn't get to bed until 9 or 10 pm (like we had a family dinner we had to attend etc.) then he is more prone to waking up earlier than usual in the morning.

She also said that the child sleeping too much during the day contributes to poor night-time sleep. I think she said that children at about 1-year-old need about 3 hours of napping time in the day--usually in 2 nap periods but sometimes will sleep the whole 3 hours at once. My son is doing quite well if he sleeps that long--but usually he might get up to 1 1/2 hours a day--either at one time or in two spurts--with the newfound success with the darkened windows and playtime in the crib we'll see if this lengthens. It also is in direct proportion to how much activity he has in a day and growth spurts and teething.

That is what I can remember off the top of my head.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    "What I remember without going through the book right now is that she said the earlier you put the child down at night the longer they sleep-which seems like an oxymoron but I think this is true--since my son started going to sleep no later than 7 pm (at one point he was going to sleep at 5:30 or 6 pm!) he sleeps 12 hours at a shot without waking up but if for some reason he doesn't get to bed until 9 or 10 pm (like we had a family dinner we had to attend etc.) then he is more prone to waking up earlier than usual in the morning."

completely agree with this. Both my kids (23mth and 7mths) go to bed at 630pm and sleep through to 8am/7am respectively. If we put them down later, they will wake up earlier or at the same time, getting much less sleep than if they went to bed earlier.

"I also have a "special" blanket with a teddy attached and a "special" sheep skin "Flat Bear" toy in the cot. These items are never given to my little one unless he is in the cot."

Haha I do this too!! sleep toys are sleep toys and he always has to put them back into the bed when he gets up in the morning!it has worked for us, especially when we travel!! He sees his sleep toys and is so happy to see them. We haven't had any problems with travel and i think it's because of the sleep toys/bed sheets we always bring along.

However, don't agree that a black out curtain or very dark room is a good idea if you plan to travel with your kids IMHO while they are young. for my elder son, we sleep trained him with the curtains open so he would learn to fall asleep with some light coming in and also learn to stay sleeping when the sun came up in the morning. Now he sleeps with the curtains shut but we really needed him to be flexible so we purposefully didn't black out the room. with our 2nd baby we are doing the same, he sleeps in a room without curtains closed so he will learn the same skill.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkMonster View Post
    However, don't agree that a black out curtain or very dark room is a good idea if you plan to travel with your kids IMHO while they are young. for my elder son, we sleep trained him with the curtains open so he would learn to fall asleep with some light coming in and also learn to stay sleeping when the sun came up in the morning. Now he sleeps with the curtains shut but we really needed him to be flexible so we purposefully didn't black out the room. with our 2nd baby we are doing the same, he sleeps in a room without curtains closed so he will learn the same skill.
    Why would traveling with your kids matter? Because you can easily get a towel or something and stick it over the window to make it more dim. I just flew by myself to the USA (a 26+ hour journey) and back again--so if you're talking about the sleeping on a plane thing--I just gave up on that notion because the plane is an odd place for a baby to sleep. I tried a full year of "sleep training my child to sleep with the curtains wide open" and as I detailed before, he didn't sleep--didn't take naps easily until I dimmed the room just this week. It's still not pitch black in there--the table cloth I'm using lets in a little bit of light--but it is dimmer than before.

About the "sleep toys"--he doesn't have "sleep toys" actually--that's not what I was talking about. I actually stuck him in his crib with a bunch of regular toys to play when it wasn't sleep time--for about 45 minutes and sat in there and played with him while he was in the crib--peeking through the bars. At nap time, I took the toys out, put the tablecloth over the window, covered him with a blanket and gave him a stuffed animal to hold--that's it. No fights at all. Usually he gets up to crawl away or stands up and demands to be let out of the crib--instead he just laid there and let me cover him up and I walked out with him fully awake and he went to sleep for over an hour! Awesome!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    MLBW of course for you, you have tried everything and as a last resort made the room darker and it worked!!! Yay!! I was just posting for anyone else who might be in the same situation trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, that i personally would not black out the room unless my baby really didn't sleep no matter what i tried and had no choice. I would not recommend blacking out a room as the first method to try simply for the reason that a baby that can fall asleep while there is light in the room is much easier to accommodate than a baby that requires darkness.

For us, when we travel, it's not an option to put up bedding over the windows as my kids go to bed at 630 or 7pm and if we are in the same room, it's just not going to work for hubby and i to sit in the dark for 30mins while we wait for the kids to fall asleep. Maybe we are just not that accommodating ;) Plus, the grandparent's house in Canada has venetian blinds so the room does get bright when the sun comes up.

Anyway, it wasn't meant to be critical of what you do. everyone does what works for their family and it's just great when something finally does work and you get that sense of relief.

From your post, i totally understood what you were saying, that you played with him and made it fun in the crib before putting him down for his nap. The sleep toys are just another suggestion to add to your suggestions for other parents who read this thread :)

cheers :)

Polly is offline Registered User
    My 20 month old sleeps on and off through the night but it's not that I'm so bothered about but she literally doesn't take a nap. She woke at 05:30 this morning, I thought she went down beautifully at 09:00 only to wake 8 mins later - I was mortified; I'd taken myself off to bed as I was so tired. She eventually fell asleep at 16:30 in the carrier whilst we were out and I let her sleep for half an hour. So, my question is... I'm interested in reading a Baby Whisperer book but I've never read her books before and wonder if I should get the first one or is there one more suitable for my daughter's age (20 months). Saying that, I'll definitely be reading one of her books before the next one comes along.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    So, my question is... I'm interested in reading a Baby Whisperer book but I've never read her books before and wonder if I should get the first one or is there one more suitable for my daughter's age (20 months). Saying that, I'll definitely be reading one of her books before the next one comes along.
    There are several different books out there. I think you probably should pick up a copy similar to the one I use now called "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems (By Teaching You To Ask The Right Questions)" It contains all of the former things in her first book (some more abridged--but at this stage, you already know how to give your daughter a bath etc....some basic things included in the first book) but it also focuses more on eating, potty training etc. If you'd like to borrow my book (and promise to return it ) just PM me--it's sitting on my shelf right here. You could look through it and decide if it might be good for you.

rach is offline Registered User
    polly i think a 20month sleeping at 9 in the morning is too early for a good nap (ie they might be tired but will not sleep for long) most that age are just having on longer nap after lunch or 11.30ish at the earliest. (just going on what i ahve read and what friends do). my 25 month old went through a phase of waking at 5.30 and it makes a long morning so sleeps in the afternoon (usually).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scroll to top