Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ESF Acceptance Letter

samali is offline Registered User
    i applied for wu kai sha kindergarten to open next yr.But didnt get the acceptance letter yet, only that reciept that they got our application.....

Tjjsp is offline Registered User
    I have been offered an opportunity to head a new branch office in HK for small company. My main concern is that I have 2 kids. Since we are not there yet, it is difficult for me to register. Also, I was told by ESF that I need to be on waiting list even if I have not narrowed down which school I want them to attend. I was told that I probably need to put in applications for several school. I am very worried about this because I do not want them to miss school at all.
    Anyone with kids and would like to give me some pointers? How are the kids and have they become more comfortable about the move? Did you have a hard time finding school? Which area is good for regular American Kids (speak very little Chinese) who like to play soccer (football) all the time?
    My kids should be going to 9th and 4th grade in the States if we were to stay behind. However, when I inquired about the int'l school in HK, they told me that my kids will be applying for 10th and 5th grade for the yr of Setp 2009. I am very concerned not only for the space (which is always on waiting list), but also the level, if they can catch up, etc. Also, because I have not moved yet and do not know where we are going to leave, I am not sure which school to apply.
    My job will be at Tsim Sha Tsu. Our family prefer living in DB. What do you all think? And which schools will you all recommand?
    Thanks for your help.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Got our acceptance letter for ESF Sheung Wan today.

MamaShirley is offline Registered User
    Yeah, I just got my baby's from ESF-Sheung Wan today for the K1 class next year. And she also got accepted at Victoria Kindergarten, now I am really torn between the 2 schools and don't know which one to choose! In terms of teaching quality, teaching style, and facilities etc. which kindergarten is better? Pls let me know!

spockey is offline Registered User
    It depends on what your needs are in the long run and your child's personality. I don't know what Victoria is like and can only gather that it is popular with mums who want their children to become effective bilinguals (but there is a debate there).

We chose ESF (in comparison to two other international school options) because
    (1) of their IB programme in primary school. Didn't want to miss out the opportunity on not getting into an ESF school. The other IB schools were more expensive and when you compare the staff student ratio (not particularly interested in small class sizes because we don't think our son needs to be in a small class size), number of ESL students, facilities, it made very little difference.
    (2) in terms of funding, ESF is well funded so I'm presuming in terms of infrastructure, we had more faith in ESF (despite not having an indoor swimming pool/tennis courts/ etc. - not an important criteria when you live in an apartment complex that has one!) - I'm more concerned about ICT and classroom facilities.
    (3) hires only trained teachers. I've seen ads for other schools that don't require QKT or they say they do and end up hiring a Causasion (sometimes for the "Anglo looking" factor and not even from an English speaking country) - I don't care if my son's teacher is black, brown or blue, I only care that he is in the hands of a qualified and capable educator.
    (4) ESF offers lots of extra-curricular programmes.
    (5) For the 24 kids in a class, there is a main teacher and two teaching assistants (not counting parent volunteers) - Most schools have 24 kids with one teaching assistant. Teacher turnover is not a problem. Good balance of experienced and beginner teachers.
    (6) There is a local feel to ESF that we like which balances out the international needs well.
    (7) Good mix of students.
    (8) Apart from the complaint that "there is just too many ESL kids at ESF", we have not heard anything particularly bad about ESF. In the words of Marty the zebra (from Madagascar) to the penguins, "I spreaken English" i.e. English is not an ESL for us so it's immaterial. ESF has a strict English policy. I have a colleague who is a product of a popular international school that cannot construct a good English sentence as he says that although these schools claim to be an "international school", Cantonese is still a dominant language of communication as it was just easier. All my friends who attended ESF are not ESL speakers for sure.

Neha is offline Banned
    well we got ours yesterday too for Sheung wan. Our tour of the school is on 21st Jan and then we have to decide in 3-4 days if we are in or out.

MamaShirley is offline Registered User
    Hi, Spockey,
    Tx for much for your input. In response to your arguments:

1. I have to say, I don't worry so much about my child speaks proper English. Though I was born in China, my husband and I had been living in the US since high school/college, so we both and the nanny, all speak English at home. Also of all the TV we watch, all English-speaking channels as well. So on the contrary to every other parents' concern here in HK, I want to emphasize that my child can have a good start in Chinese/Putonghua.

2. About the primaries. Do you know that Victoria actually just had a new primary built in 2007 at Aberdeen, and it also has the IB program...?

3. In terms of the quality of teaching staff, is it really Victoria's not as good as ESF? Of all the locals, I think Victoria is probably the best, so I would imagine that they can "afford" to hire really qualified teachers and TAs...

4. Now about the quality of the student pool. My argument is that during admission, at least Victoria does interview, which ESF doesn't. So wouldn't you say that the student pool might be a bit better then that of ESF?

5. Finally there is also the practical part to consider: we live in San Wan Ho district, and I called the bus service and was told that it was about 45 min from my place to the ESF-Sheung Wan school, while we can walk to Victoria's Lower Kornhill campus. Don't you think it's too much for a 3-yr old to commute 45 min each way everyday to school?

Finally, do you know what are the good primaries in HK? Is there a book/website where I can see the ranking of primaries?
    Okay, that's all! Tx for much for your time!

Neha is offline Banned
    seems like u have already decided which school u want.

best of luck

there is no website which list all rankings of schools. But u can find the list of all schools in Hong Kong on this website or on milkmonsters blog
    Last edited by Neha; 12-12-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: incomplete

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast