Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

breastfeeding & coffee

reei is offline Registered User
    Hung Hom

breastfeeding & coffee

i am breastfeeding my 3 months + baby, and i was told that she has problem sleeping because i drink a cup of coffee daily.. anyone has similar experience?
    is it really related?

ladybug is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    No it is not related. Sarah from LLL posted that it takes 5 cups of coffee to really affect the breast milk. If you are having one cup then it shouldn't. I was fooled into thinking that coffee was affecting my baby's sleep but now I'm sure it was other factors. Sarah said that the effects of caffeine for a newborn is 96 hours. If your baby is already three months then I think it drops significantly. By the time the baby is 6 months, the effects of caffeine in the system is something like 14 hours. But again, this is after having something like 5 cups of coffee.

I have a French press so I make half decaf/half regular because I use US sized mugs which are probably two cups of coffee. It seems to work for me because then I can also nap when my baby sleeps without being wired on caffeine.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i hate coffee, but am hopelessly addicted to fizzy pop. i drink at least 3-5 glasses per day.

it never affected either of my kids.