Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

TMI - but really need help/advice

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

TMI - but really need help/advice

This is a very difficult post for me to write...

Ok so here goes...I have been *suffering* now for 7mths postpartum...vaginal infection after vaginal infection. I clear one, I get another - i have basically had every single possible bacterial infection possible down there and have been on antibiotics for 7mths now. no symptoms since i go for a vaginal swab every 3 weeks. My gyno has told me this is 'normal' for some women to experience post birth since estrogen levels fluctuate and cause the lining of the vaginal wall to become thin and susceptible to infection she has not offered any other options or solutions besides keeping me on antibiotics. I know it is possible to try and regulate my hormones by taking estrogen but i also have endometriosis and this kind of therapy would make my cysts grow - something i would like to avoid.

I am a clean person and have only had 1 sexual partner in my lifetime (met hubby when I was 16 and we have been together for 14yrs). I don't really understand why this is happening to me...it didn't happen with my first baby...

Has anyone gone through something similar? Should I just wait it out and keep taking the antibiotics? Can anyone suggest anything that would help me build up my immune system? Or does anyone know what else i can do???

Besides the birth and survival of my premature son who almost died, this has been THE WORST year for me ever. I hate submitting the health insurance claims that have VAGINAL INFECTION written on the receipt every month and now on this forum with all the moms in HK knowing about my...this is really an all time low for me.

Thanks everyone

mushi is offline Registered User
    sounds awful MM.....sorry i have no advice on this one .....but i pray for yr good health....must have been really hard and u must have been pretty frustrated to actually write about this on a forum/....but don;t worry we all are here to help each other.....the only thing i can suggest is pls. do visit another doctor and get his/her recommendation....it always helps to get a second opinion.....recently when my baby had loose motions my GP told me all was well and just bear it out but my pedia detected ear infection and immediately put him on anti-biotics!!! DOCTORS ...GOD SAVE US FROM THEM!

val23 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Maybe you can try some alternative medicine. Probiotics may help. If you use antibiotics too often, the bacteria may become resistant to the drugs.
    Also, try changing your diet. I know certain foods can cause more bacterial growth. Just google online for more info.

Good luck.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    I second val23's suggestion on probiotics. Weird as this may sound, but taking Yakult works (at least for me, it did). I also had it after my first pregnancy, but it stopped very soon after I took Yakult, after having read somewhere that lactobacillus (which Yakult has) helps. I didn't take any medication. Worth a try, maybe? Hope you'll get over it soon.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Just a question... I guess you had sexual relations with your husband since 7 months... maybe it could be a good idea to check that your husband has nothing, as maybe he got it from you first, and then does not stop transmitting it to you everytime. Often men have no symptoms but can carry a germ that develops only in women (not suggesting anything about your husband, only a transmission between you 2).
    Also, you could meet a Homeopath, they have some really good doctors at IMI in Central, they might be not able to replace the antibiotics to kill some infection, but for sure to prevent another one.
    Could be good idea also to meet a TCM doctor.

Just giving some new ideas... hope you'll find the one to get rid of this problem !

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    so sorry you're going through this and don't feel bad talking about it ;)

You said you've been taking antibiotics for 7 months but I was surprised to see the info below.

"Long term consumption of antibiotics can kill the good bacteria that is needed for your body and hence this can cause the yeast to grow".

http://ezinearticles.com/?Remedy-For...ons&id=1744928

I agree with Val23 & Buckeroo suggestions. Have you try eating yogurt?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Natural-Cu...ion&id=1751024

HTH

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Mushi - glad to hear your pead was able to catch the ear infection! In the end dr. are just people and sometimes can miss things if they are too busy - which i find is the case here too often in Hk.

Thanks very much for all the input and kind words everyone. I will definitely look into IMI for a more natural approach (has anyone had any success seeing a chinese doctor or acupuncturist?) as I've been reading up online and have found too that antibiotics are not useful for chronic infections. More than likely i will need to make some adjustments in my lifestyle and diet and see how it goes from there. I did have a 3 week stretch infection free, it was while i was doing yoga 3 times a week at night but since I've been working out the sleep issues with my baby and hubby has been traveling, i haven't been to yoga in over a month...wondering if this had anything to do with my relapse....

Frenchy haha we have only had sex twice since in the last 7mths - husband is on a round of antibiotics too just in case it was passed to him. My gyno did not think he needed to be tested but prescribed the antibiotics just in case.

Out of all things, i have thankfully not had a yeast infection, I am only suffering from on-going bacterial infections. I need to find a way to repopulate my V with good bacteria to get to a healthy balance again so the bad bacteria isn't always able to take over... I do eat yoghurt about 3 times a week, i guess i should be eating more often. Is Yakult that little drink in a translucent bottle with red writing?

I will also give probiotics a try. can you buy this over the counter somewhere or do i need to see a homeopath/naturopath for this? (which i do intend to make an appointment with but won't be able to until after the holidays.)

(sigh) i didn't realize having kids would take such a toll on my body...it's really been a struggle and humbling experience. I really hope to be healthy again soon. Thank you again everyone I really appreciate you all.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Yakult is basically a yogurt drink. You can get it from any supermarket or Mannings. Yes, it is in a little translucent bottle with red writing. :)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast