Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stuck in mid-levels...PLEASE HELP!

daddyoftheyear is offline Registered User

Stuck in mid-levels...PLEASE HELP!

My wife, newborn and I just moved to Hong Kong from New York. We live on Robinson Road near the escalators. Unfortunately, we feel very trapped! Where do stay at home moms go during the day? How do they get around? The streets are very small, the small sidewalks are crowded, and we obviously live on a steep mountain...this makes it very difficult for my wife. I am sure we must be doing something wrong as others have told us this is a great location. PLEASE HELP. We welcome any suggestions or advice.

Thank you!

Neha is offline Banned
    It depends where u want to go. If ur wife likes malls then there is Pacific place or IFC OR even Landmark. If she wants to take the baby out for a walk or park u can go to the Botanical gardens. With a new born time really flies. There are many rest/coffee shops in Soho. She can join classes at YWCA ( introducing to HK 7 LOCAL SHOPPING & gym etc)

Welcome to Hong Kong

daddyoftheyear is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the reply but my wife can only go to the mall every so often. Do you know the best route to the Botanical Gardens? It just seems very strange to us to be walking with a newborn on these BUSY streets and up and down stairs.

Dink is offline Registered User
    Maybe your wife could try joining a mother and baby group, for example at Annerley, and chat to some other mums? I am sure she would meet plenty of women living in mid-levels and facing the same challenges who could give her a few tips...

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I am sure that there are some Clubs and Societies you could both join.

Such as the Australian Association of Hong Kong (I think they have a mum and bubs meeting once a month), Helena May (I think they are located in central, nearish you and they have a Library and cafe from memory), American Women's Association, YWCA, Royal Over-Seas League.

Cheers

catcurran is offline Registered User
    Hi there. We just moved here from New York too (I have a 16 month old) and I find HK to be amazingly un-stroller-friendly. In fact it really sucks compared to NYC when you have a littel one! If my son were younger/smaller, I would have him in the Baby Bjorn all day and would be able to easily walk around Soho or any place with stairs...do you guys have a Bjorn or a sling? I would think that would make it easier.....How long do you have to be in the Mid-levels? Perhaps when your baby needs a stroller you'll want to move elsewhere? We're living in a hotel right now but will most likely move to the Parkview complex....lots of good "strollering" areas, amazing outdoor & indoor playgrounds, playgroups, etc.

zara's_mum is offline Registered User
    Hi

I think I met you on the escalator a week or two ago - I was going up with my daughter in a stroller at the time. I know that it is hard to get around but I do think it gets easier, once you get used to the area and start to figure out where you are going. I have been here for about 11mths and at first it was hard but now it seems relatively easy. My daughter is quite a bit older but I still take her out in the stroller.

There are closer playgrounds your wife could go to - one on Caine Road. I go there on a Friday morning (tomorrow) around 9.30am and meet a few other mums in the area. Your wife is more than welcome to come along if she would like. I'm sure there would be a few people there who could give her some good advice on places to go and how to get there.

Neha is offline Banned
    I dont know where u are at Robinson road. But u can take any bus and it will drop u on top of the garden the next stop after Bishop Lei House and then u just go down thru the zoo. Quite easy.

When our baby was small we started a playdate thru this website and many good friends. u can post on this website looking for friends and there are many people living in this area on this webiste

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast