Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Frozen v. Fresh food

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    It's a well known fact that at least as far as fruit and veggies go frozen is better than nearly anything you will find fresh. Frozen food is frozen straight after harvesting/picking ensuring the survival of most of the nutrients. Anything not frozen (even organic) takes a long time to get to a supermarket shelf thus losing a lot of their goodness on the way, in handling, washing, transportation etc so unless you are getting food straight from the grower's market within a couple of days of picking I would not worry one bit about choosing to buy frozen instead.

Canned food on the other hand is just bad!

Personally I'm not a big believer in the whole organic debate. For me, living in HK the most important thing is not buying fruit and veg from the mainland or HK. I'm happy to buy non-organic from just about anywhere else just remembering to give everything a good long wash.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Park n shop does a organic line of fruit, veg, milk, meat and salmon etc. at some stores, that is much cheaper than 360.

I used to shop at 360, but now only thing that I need from there is baby yoghurt and white fish. If I can't get organic, then I go for line caught wild fish (i.e. nothing farmed - irrespective of where it's from) and free range meat/chicken from Aus/NZ like Southside.

I freeze the meat/fish and batch-made food all the time and freeze organic bananas whole in their skin (if you microwave them, then cut them open it's like banana ice-cream for babies!)

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post

Personally I'm not a big believer in the whole organic debate. For me, living in HK the most important thing is not buying fruit and veg from the mainland or HK. I'm happy to buy non-organic from just about anywhere else just remembering to give everything a good long wash.
    Curious to why you are unwilling to buy food grown locally in HK if it is organic? I live directly next to a traditional HK organic garden (can walk there in less than 10 minutes) and I have to say having seen their growing methods, getting to know the local growers themselves and tasting their produce (which is tastier than any I've eaten elsewhere--they pick it right then and there so it is absolutely the freshest) I completely stand by the local agriculture here. (It's also a great way to see a traditional part of HK). Also, I don't think it's fair to lump Mainland growing techniques into the same category as what happens here in HK (I've lived in ML China as well and have visited local growing programs there--no comparison between HK). Buying locally not only is more affordable than getting your veggies from abroad (if you buy directly from the growers which is totally do-able here--some even deliver!) but it also supports and encourages a part of the local economy and reduces our "carbon footprint" (all the fuel used to package and deliver those foreign-grown groceries). Check it out!

MLBW Guest

Smile Organic is Possible

I just want to make it clear that organic is not luxury--it's just that the expensive grocery stores make it seem so. My father was an organic veggie gardener with a "truck garden" during the entire time I was growing up--so I do understand what organic is and what it isn't. I think that organic food in the super market has become a niche item that is over-packaged and as Carang said, Li Ka Shing (Ka Ching!) is getting the bucks from it. It is a "value-added" product and they are charging you for the "status" of it--basically, all that stuff is way overpriced!

If you buy your veggies at the local street market--or even at the grocery stores you have no way of knowing whether those veggies were grown in a field watered by industrial waste in China (The Pearl Report did a lengthy story about this about a year ago). If you pay more for those veggies grown abroad, you are really cheating yourself and the local organic growers who are trying to do right by not only the land (because pesticides and fertilizers damage it for future generations) but by the people of this city--they believe in food, the way it can be and they put a lot of love, sweat and tears into their operations to keep it that way.

It is becoming more and more convenient to buy these veggies (a grower next to where we live is well-known through out the city and even does deliveries!) and by and large, they are much tastier (the difference in the taste of carrots is unmistakable--in fact, I would venture to say that most people have never eaten a truly delicious carrot) than the other veggies available--AND they are cheaper.

For example, I bought about 3 pounds of fresh (straight out of the ground--I watched the grower pick it) spinach for about $35 HKD. The frozen spinach in Park n' Shop is around 50-60 HKD. The spinach lasted, in my refrigerator for about 2 weeks and was just as delicious the entire time!

When I bought it, I asked the grower about his process and he brought out the peanut fertilizer he uses for me to smell and touch and then explained how they process the peanuts for the oil and sell it and then use the fertilizer on their fields. So interesting!

carang is offline Registered User
    mlbw, could you please provide the name and number of the grower near you? thanks in advance!

MLBW Guest

southside852 is offline Registered User
    this is amazing and so wonderful - thanks for sharing MLBW!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    MLBW, actually I don't trust many so called 'organic' producers, wherever they may be. If I lived close by to one as you did/do and I could see wth my own eyes that things were grown organically, picked at the peak etc I'd be more inclined to believe the hype. As it is even in Australia there have been lots of scandals about so called organic fruit and veg suppliers selling regular produce but heaping a bit of soil on everything to make it look organic!

This notwithstanding, I still don't see a big difference between the mainland and HK. If you compare HK to a place like Australia, a country without pollution, with clean water etc even regularly produced vegies in Oz would be healthier than 'organic' produce from HK. HK producers might not be as 'ethically challenged' as some Mainland producers but you can't get away from the fact that the environment here is one of the unhealthiest and it's in these conditions that fruit and veg are grown.

That said, I do miss good carrots so maybe I'll try out your contact :)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast