Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Frozen v. Fresh food

MLBW Guest

Aussiegal, good luck with your pregnancy. I still think you should visit out here before you make a judgment about what you haven't seen yet but if you are completely satisfied with the way things are as far as your food supply goes, then that is wonderful.

My take--if the chemicals kill insects I don't want to be eating them--in the same way I don't want to spray a room with Baygone and then inhale it. No, we will never live in a pollution-free environment, no matter where we live on earth--but that won't stop me from doing what I can to minimize my exposure--including simple things like taking my shoes off before I come inside as to not track icky things in on them, cleaning with vinegar and baking soda as much as possible, using vegetable products for my hair and skin needs and trying to find affordable ways to minimize my exposure to pollutants in my food. I think my health is worth it and so is that of my children and there is scientific evidence pointing to the potential devastating effects of the amount of chemicals and pollutants that each of us is exposed to--one area that these effects especially shows up in is fertility and the development of unborn babies--the most sensitive areas of our humanity, apparently:

A Flood of Gender Bending Chemicals

LeahH is offline Registered User

Jaetree - at 360 they mark down from around 2-4pm (after the lunch time shoppers are done), sometimes earlier on the weekend.

The fruit is usually fine for ages, the veg good for a few days (except things like leaf which tends to go off quickly). The meat and fish I would typically freeze asap (if it's chilled) or batch cook that day and then freeze (if it's previously frozen).

The prices are becme comparable, if not less, than regular supermarkets and online suppliers with overseas organic produce (won't be cheaper than locally grown though most likely).

There is also a section behind the long life milk, near the dairy, that has marked down dry goods - everthing from fairtrade coffee to crisps.

Also, they generally have 2 for 1 specials in the health food/medicine section that's good for supplements. They are the only place in HK that I've found that does montmerency cherry juice concentrate (excellent for us pregnant ladies that can't get to sleep at night!). But if anyone else has found this, I'd be very interested - it's the only way I can get to sleep now!

MLBW Guest

Hey There,

Hope ya'll had a fab CNY. I haven't made it over to the farmer I buy my veggies from yet, but here is another farmer out here (from the photos, I know where his farm is at). He delivers. $200 HKD/year membership, $150 HKD/week for 3 kg of fresh, organic veggies delivered. That's something to check out. But, I'll get more info...still trying to find the phone number for another guy too.

Happy Eating!

The Organic Garden and Veggie Van

MLBW Guest

This is also interesting. Two weekends ago, my husband and I went for an evening walk on a path that kind of meandered off in a direction we had never walked out here before and I think we walked by this lady's garden because I remember my husband remarking, "Wow! Look at all these flowers!" It's quite scenic out here! Anyway, I think it's neat that she can hire some people with disabilities--growing things is hard work but it is so rewarding and also very therapeutic! I'm going to give her a call!

http://www.flowerworldhk.com/contact_us_e.php

MLBW Guest

The English on this isn't fabulous but it does describe what you can do at the organic gardens out here--they are very transparent--and offer tours and education programs--loads of schools come out here for field trips to learn about plants, organic farming and to pick their own fruits and veggies. It's a really great idea for a weekend trip. I like that part of what the farmers do out here is educate people--they are passionate about what they do and want others to join in with it.

Pat Heung Organic Farms Complex

MLBW Guest

Okay, I went over to the local farmer I buy veggies from today and bought a lot of really beautiful spinach (straight out of the ground again) as well as some lettuce and tomatoes. Wished I could have bought cucumbers but they come into season in March-April.

The people I buy from have been living on the plot of ground where they are at for 30 years. It's a mom, dad and son operation. Their last name is Chen. Their phone number is 2443-0900. However, since they are very local, local people, you're going to have to speak Cantonese or Mandarin with them.

Here's an areal view of where it's at (look closely, you can see our house...)

Kam Tin Country Club

I think the emerging "problem" I see here is that these people know gardening but they aren't exactly into marketing themselves. The above post I made about the Veggie Van guy shows that he has figured out how to market to foreigners--whereas, the focus of the people I buy from is local people (and therefore they charge local prices--not prices inflated just because you're a foreigner). The best way to get veggies from the above people is to make a trip out here--I don't see any other way but the Veggie Van guy could be an option for some--still looking for the other supplier I mentioned before...man, I misplaced his number and I am having a heck of a time retrieving it.

But, if anyone is interested in making a weekend trek out here...strawberry picking season at the organic farms is coming up--I picked some last year and they were beautiful! I'm always available to provide directions.

dhirsh is offline Registered User

My baby is 9 months old and I usually use frozen vegetables for his food. I have read that it can be just as good. I also find it cheaper to do it that way- less goes to waste.

As far as meat- once it's cooked you should be able to freeze it even if it was frozen before. The bacteria should have been killed when you cooked it.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

MLBW - let me know when berry picking season is!! I LOOOVVVEE berries and would so go with you!! Sounds like fun!!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast