Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Frozen v. Fresh food

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Given the age of most of the women here (late twenties to fourties???) - just think about what you ate as a child. Chances are that the pesticides used wereWORSE than what is used today,simply because not all the dangers were as well understood.

I, too, find the whole organic/not, frozen/fresh a little pedantic. We buy organic when we can, fresh when it's good, frozen when it's not. We eat a balanced meal, and buy brands that we trust.

It's kind of irrelevent where meat/fish comes from - unless it's CHinese (don;t trust it at all) or organic. Chicken from Brazil/USA/Australia/'free range' is still from chickens whose food is pumped full of antibiotics. Fish free caught from Vietna, is only going to have marginally less mercury than that caught in Scotland.

The important thing is to be aware of the risks and to minimise them as much as you can.

If we shopped only organic, we'd go broke.
    You can be healthy without having to go 100% organic.

MLBW Guest
    Happy V, it's true that going 100% organic is way too expensive at this point but I'm glad you recognize the value in being careful about what you buy. I guess I'm the anomaly here as the entire time I was growing up I only ate home-grown organic produce and wild game on a regular basis (except for the 1-2 times a year I had soda at a birthday party--that sort of thing)--and I can definitely tell a change in the quality of my health since I haven't had access to that type of food for the past 8-10 years. Plus, well-grown veggies just taste better! I was just cutting up a carrot from Australia and it was the most anemic, yellow (bright orange on the outside of course), tasteless piece of veggie I've tasted in awhile. I think I'm going to start a roof garden and grow carrots on my roof! :0)

mocha is offline Registered User
    I think most of the australians agreed on what you said.
    by the way, you can find australian grown carrot at the very reasonable price 10/kg at welcome.

before the age of 1, i never buy any fresh veggie which produce fr hk and china. i rather trust heinz bottled food fr aust.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
    MLBW, actually I don't trust many so called 'organic' producers, wherever they may be. If I lived close by to one as you did/do and I could see wth my own eyes that things were grown organically, picked at the peak etc I'd be more inclined to believe the hype. As it is even in Australia there have been lots of scandals about so called organic fruit and veg suppliers selling regular produce but heaping a bit of soil on everything to make it look organic!

This notwithstanding, I still don't see a big difference between the mainland and HK. If you compare HK to a place like Australia, a country without pollution, with clean water etc even regularly produced vegies in Oz would be healthier than 'organic' produce from HK. HK producers might not be as 'ethically challenged' as some Mainland producers but you can't get away from the fact that the environment here is one of the unhealthiest and it's in these conditions that fruit and veg are grown.

That said, I do miss good carrots so maybe I'll try out your contact :)
    Last edited by mocha; 02-12-2009 at 06:03 PM.

MLBW Guest
    Mocha, I know about the Wellcome carrots--are you talking about organic carrots from Wellcome? The cheaper carrots from Australia--I gave those a go--not impressed--no flavor--really. That's also the big difference between most organically grown stuff and the other "mass produced" veggies out there--the flavor is A LOT different. For one thing, most veggies that aren't organically grown have a sort of bitter or acrid taste to them--from the residue of pesticide and fertilizer on them. Then, the flavor is extremely washed out. It's sort of like having a veggie that looks like a carrot from the outside but only retains about 25% of the taste of a carrot on the inside. Looks can be deceiving. As far as the way most agriculture is done today--it's not done for nutrition's sake or for flavor's sake--many producers (big industrial farms) are simply in it for the profit so the quality suffers. If you've ever had a delicious home-grown carrot, you know what I'm talking about here. Sadly, most people haven't. I seriously have to set up some planter boxes on the roof of my house and grow some carrots!

carang is offline Registered User
    "many producers (big industrial farms) are simply in it for the profit so the quality suffers."

however, some may be in it to help feed the world. if everyone grew organically, the earth could not support the population that it does. (of course, this does not mean that everyone has enough food, however, more are able to buy it DUE TO large industrial farms that can "mass produce" enough to sell cheaply.)

having grown up on a grain/cattle farm, i can tell you... the life of a farmer IS NOT easy. as a matter of fact, my dad went bankrupt trying to keep the farm going.

that said, we had a HUGE garden and the things that i miss most are:
    GREAT raspberries
    FRESH peas (not frozen or canned but straight from the garden)

MLBW Guest
    Cara, I like that you're thinking outside the box on this one, but I am guessing that most people who grow things do it to earn a living and maybe if they feed some people, that's great too. I'm not talking about the "family farm" producers here--as most of them still have a conscience about what and how they do things--and they are in the minority as far as numbers go. Most, like the situation with your father, went broke to try to keep competing with the "big guys." I'm talking about the industrial conglomerates who run the food supply (insert companies like Nestle here).

I know the life of a farmer is not easy as most of my family is in agriculture too--ranching and farming and I've done my share of ranch work as well--branding, calving, haying, taking care of bum lambs and calves, cleaning barns, cleaning chicken coupes, collecting eggs, going to auction, vaccinations--and a lot of it done in the snow and blizzard conditions. It's a sun up to sun down (and often in the middle of the night) job and it's thankless most of the time.

I'm just lamenting the fact that most people have never and will never get to taste how vegetables once tasted and were meant to taste. And the nutritional value of those vegetables is depleted as well so even those who can afford to buy them aren't going to be that much healthier for eating them. Of course, there is a wide range of poverty levels--there are those who are starving to death and often there are other factors at play--it's not just a supply-demand scheme. It is also geo-political so you can grow enough food to feed everyone and still people will be starving because of corrupt governments etc.

donkey is offline Registered User
    I am using everything organic from Australia (ordered on line) and they are very fresh when delivered. Since AUD$ is low now the price is actually pretty good compared to City Super, Great etc.

For frozen veggies it is totally fine except that you have to check the label to make sure that no salt is added.

I am using canned organic tomato from Waitrose as I found it hard to find organic tomato (not from China). I use it to cook pasta for my 1 year old son. Do you think it is bad?

carang is offline Registered User
    why on earth would it be bad?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast